2019 - 2020 LEGISLATURE
DOA:......Kretschmann, BB0092 - Milwaukee mathematics partnership
For 2019-2021 Budget -- Not Ready For Introduction
An Act relating to: the budget.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Primary and secondary education
1. Milwaukee mathematics partnership grant
Under this bill, beginning in the 2020-21 school year, DPI must award a grant to the school board of a first class city school district (currently, only Milwaukee Public Schools) to develop and implement a plan to improve mathematics instruction in the school district. The bill requires the school board to work with the UW-Milwaukee to develop and implement the plan.
For further information see the state and local fiscal estimate, which will be printed as an appendix to this bill.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
1. 20.255 (2) (ah) of the statutes is created to read:
20.255 (2) (ah) Mathematics partnership grant. The amounts in the schedule for aid to a 1st class city school district under s. 119.313.
****Note: This Section involves a change in an appropriation that must be reflected in the revised schedule in s. 20.005, stats.
2. 119.313 of the statutes is created to read:
119.313 Mathematics Partnership. (1) The board, in consultation with the University of Wisconsin- Milwaukee, shall develop and implement a plan to improve mathematics instruction in schools in the school district.
(2) Annually, beginning in the 2020-21 school year, from the appropriation under s. 20.255 (2) (ah), the department shall award a grant to the board to develop and implement the plan under sub. (1). The board may use grant proceeds for personnel costs associated with developing and implementing the plan under sub. (1).
(3) The department may promulgate rules to implement and administer this section.