2019 - 2020 LEGISLATURE
DOA:......Sherwin, BB0334 - Broadband report
For 2019-2021 Budget -- Not Ready For Introduction
An Act ...;
relating to: the budget.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Public utility regulation
1. Broadband report
This bill requires the PSC and DOA to jointly submit a report to the governor and the legislature no later than June 30, 2020, that provides 1) updates on emerging broadband technologies, 2) recommendations for incentives to broadband providers to serve unserved or underserved areas of the state, and 3) proposals for leveraging existing state agency technology, resources, or a combination of technology and resources to serve those areas of the state.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
Nonstatutory provisions; Public Service Commission.
(1) Broadband report.
(a) In this subsection:
1. “Underserved” has the meaning given in s. 196.504 (1) (b).
2. “Unserved” has the meaning given in s. 196.504 (1) (c).
(b) No later than June 30, 2020, the public service commission and the department of administration shall jointly submit a report to the legislature in the manner provided under s. 13.172 (3) and to the governor that provides all of the following:
1. Updates on emerging broadband technologies and how they can be used to provide broadband service to state residents.
2. Recommendations on how to provide incentives to broadband providers to serve underserved or unserved areas of the state.
3. Proposals on how existing state agency technology, resources, or a combination of technology and resources can be leveraged to serve underserved or unserved areas of the state.