346.95 (9) of the statutes is created to read:
346.95 (9) Any person violating s. 346.924 may be required to forfeit not less than $500 nor more than $5,000. Each violation constitutes a separate offense.
348.26 (4m) of the statutes is created to read:
348.26 (4m) Permits for vehicles transporting certain buildings. (a) In this subsection:
1. "Building" has the meaning given in s. 348.27 (12m) (a) 1.
2. "Vehicle" has the meaning given in s. 348.27 (12m) (a) 2.
(b) The requirements for issuance of a permit under s. 348.27 (12m) (c) shall also apply to issuance of a permit under sub. (2) for a vehicle transporting a building on the highways, and the department and those local officials who are authorized to issue permits under sub. (2) may not issue a permit under sub. (2) for a vehicle transporting a building unless these requirements are satisfied. The department and those local officials who are authorized to issue permits under sub. (2) may deny a permit under sub. (2) for a vehicle transporting a building if the department or local official finds that any of the circumstances specified in s. 348.27 (12m) (d) applies. The provisions of this subsection apply in addition to any other requirement imposed under this chapter, chs. 194, 343, 346, and 347, and federal law.
348.27 (12m) of the statutes is created to read:
348.27 (12m) Permits for vehicles transporting certain buildings. (a) In this subsection:
1. a. "Building" means a dwelling or other structure or portion of a dwelling or other structure that, when measured as provided in subd. 1. b., is more than 12 feet wide, more than 14 feet 3 inches in height, or more than 100 feet long; that is transportable as a whole or in sections; and that is raised and supported from an existing foundation to be moved and placed on a permanent foundation at a new location where the dwelling or other structure is to be delivered. "Building" does not include a modular housing unit, a manufactured building as defined in s. 101.71 (6), or a manufactured home as defined in s. 101.91 (2).
b. For purposes of subd. 1. a., width shall be measured from the farthest extremity of the vehicle and load on each side, height shall be measured from the ground to the highest point of the vehicle and load, and length shall be measured from the rearmost point of the vehicle and load to the frontmost point of the vehicle.
2. "Vehicle" includes a combination of vehicles.
(b) The department may issue annual or consecutive month permits for vehicles transporting buildings on the highways. A permit under this subsection may be issued only by the department, regardless of the highways to be used.
(c) The department may not issue a permit under this subsection unless the department determines that all of the following requirements are met:
1. The applicant identifies each potential operator of a vehicle under the permit and provides proof that each such operator holds a valid commercial driver license, with any endorsement required under ch. 343 for operation of the class and type of vehicle to be used to transport a building under the permit.
2. The applicant provides proof of a valid motor carrier certificate or license of authority issued under ch. 194 or under federal law applicable for each vehicle to be used to transport a building under the permit.
3. The applicant provides proof, by a certificate of insurance filed with the department, that the applicant, in addition to satisfying the insurance requirements described in s. 346.924 (2), maintains a policy of comprehensive general liability insurance, issued by an insurer authorized to transact business in this state, that provides bodily injury liability coverage and property damage liability coverage, including for underground property damage, with a total limit of not less than $500,000 for each occurrence.
(d) The department may deny any application for a permit under this subsection if the department finds any of the following:
1. That the applicant, or any potential operator identified in par. (c) 1., has been convicted, within 3 years immediately preceding the date of application, of a violation of s. 346.924.
2. That the applicant, or any potential operator identified in par. (c) 1., has engaged in conduct endangering the safety of persons using the highways.
3. That the applicant has failed to provide reimbursement for damage, which is not paid for by the applicant's insurer, to a highway caused while transporting a building under a permit under this subsection.
4. That the applicant, or any potential operator identified in par. (c) 1., has abandoned a building on a highway or on public or private property without permission of the property owner.
(e) The provisions of this subsection apply in addition to any other requirement imposed under this chapter, chs. 194, 343, 346, and 347, and federal law.
348.28 (1) of the statutes is amended to read:
348.28 (1) Permits issued under ss. 348.25, 348.26 and 348.27 (1) to (10), and (12)
and to (13) shall be carried on the vehicle during operations so permitted.
(1) Notwithstanding section 16.42 (1) (e) of the statutes, if this subsection takes effect in fiscal year 2006-07, in submitting information under section 16.42 of the statutes for purposes of the 2007-09 biennial budget bill, the department of transportation shall submit a dollar amount for the appropriation under section 20.395 (5) (cq) of the statutes that is $18,700 less than the total amount appropriated under section 20.395 (5) (cq) of the statutes for the 2006-07 fiscal year, before submitting any information relating to any increase or decrease in the dollar amount for that appropriation for the 2007-09 fiscal biennium.
(1) In the schedule under section 20.005 (3) of the statutes for the appropriation to the department of transportation under section 20.395 (5) (cq) of the statutes, as affected by the acts of 2005, the dollar amount is increased by $18,700 for the fiscal year in which this subsection takes effect to provide funding to implement permit issuance under sections 348.26 (4m) and 348.27 (12m) of the statutes, as created by this act.
(1) This act takes effect on the first day of the 7th month beginning after publication.