Record of Committee Proceedings
Committee on Financial Institutions
Assembly Bill 476
Relating to: eliminating the 13-week limit on the garnishment of earnings of certain debtors.
By Representatives Hutton, Tusler, Allen, Ballweg, Gannon, Horlacher, Jarchow, Kuglitsch, Murphy, Quinn, Rohrkaste and Spiros; cosponsored by Senators Wanggaard, Stroebel, Kapenga and Nass.
August 24, 2017 Referred to Committee on Financial Institutions
September 27, 2017 Public Hearing Held
Present: (14) Representative Katsma; Representatives Jarchow, Allen, Stafsholt, Petryk, Weatherston, Murphy, Petersen, Kitchens, Doyle, Young, Zepnick, Bowen and Meyers.
Absent: (0) None.
Excused: (2) Representatives Sanfelippo and Fields.
· Representative Rob Hutton - 13th Assembly District
· Debra Davidoski - Milwaukee County District Attorney's Office
· Vicky Selkowe - Legal Action of Wisconsin
· Stacia Conneely - Legal Action of Wisconsin
· Rick Taylor - Bonded Collectors of Wisconsin/Great Lakes Credit and Collection Association
Appearances for Information Only
· Senator Van Wanggaard - 21st Senate District
· Marlys Howe - WI Victim Witness Association
· Andy Franken - Wisconsin Insurance Alliance
· Kelda Roys
Registrations for Information Only
· Nicole Kuehl - Department of Revenue
January 03, 2018 Executive Session Held
Present: (12) Representative Katsma; Representatives Allen, Petryk, Weatherston, Murphy, Petersen, Kitchens, Doyle, Young, Meyers, Fields and Zamarripa.
Absent: (1) Representative Stafsholt.
Excused: (3) Representatives Jarchow, Sanfelippo and Bowen.
Moved by Representative Weatherston, seconded by Representative Murphy that Assembly Amendment 3 be recommended for adoption.
Ayes: (8) Representative Katsma; Representatives Allen, Petryk, Weatherston, Murphy, Petersen, Kitchens and Young.
Noes: (4) Representatives Doyle, Meyers, Fields and Zamarripa.
ASSEMBLY AMENDMENT 3 ADOPTION RECOMMENDED, Ayes 8, Noes 4
Moved by Representative Petersen, seconded by Representative Weatherston that Assembly Bill 476 be recommended for passage as amended.
Ayes: (7) Representative Katsma; Representatives Allen, Petryk, Weatherston, Murphy, Petersen and Kitchens.
Noes: (5) Representatives Doyle, Young, Meyers, Fields and Zamarripa.
PASSAGE AS AMENDED RECOMMENDED, Ayes 7, Noes 5