Record of Committee Proceedings
Committee on Regulatory Licensing Reform
Assembly Bill 188
Relating to: educational requirements for taking the accounting examination or receiving a certified public accountant certificate; continuing education requirements for accounting license renewal; data-sharing programs related to accountants; peer reviews for certified public accounting firms; modifying various administrative rules promulgated by the Accounting Examining Board relating to accounting; and granting rule-making authority.
By Representatives Kooyenga, Ballweg, Berceau, Doyle, E. Brooks, R. Brooks, Katsma, Kuglitsch, Loudenbeck, Novak, Tranel, Ripp, Tusler and Wichgers; cosponsored by Senators Marklein, Cowles, Olsen and Risser.
March 28, 2017 Referred to Committee on Regulatory Licensing Reform
April 27, 2017 Public Hearing Held
Present: (8) Representative Horlacher; Representatives Ballweg, Jacque, Macco, Quinn, Brostoff, Genrich and Anderson.
Absent: (0) None.
Excused: (1) Representative Hutton.
· Representative Dale Kooyenga - 14th Assembly District
· Senator Howard Marklein - 17th Senate District
· Terry Warfield - University of Wisconsin-Madison
· John S. Scheid - Wisconsin Accounting Examining Board
· Todd Craft - Clifton Larson Allen LLP
· Dennis Tomorsky - WICPA
· Angela Thomas - WICPA
Appearances for Information Only
· Senator Chris Kapenga - 33rd Senate District
· Tim Christen - Self
· Paul Taylor - Baker Tilly
· Tammy Hofstede - WICPA
· Alice O'Connor - WICPA
· Megan Cahill - Baker Tilly
· Payton Hanson - Baker Tilly
· Joel Yaeger - Baker Tilly
· Jason Culotta - Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce
· Jack O'Meara - PROFS-UW Madison Faculty
· Matthew Schaefer - Bank of Wisconsin Dells & WICPA
· Leni Siker - Siker Consulting & WICPA
· Matt Young - AICPA
· John Johnson - NASBA
· David Gay - Ernst & Young & WICPA
· Neil Keller - Sikich-CPA Firm & WICPA
· Heather Acker - Baker Tilly
· Steve Handrick - Handrick Consulting & WICPA
· Karen Melchert - CNA & WICPA
· Scott Wrobbel - Deloitte & WICPA
· Michael Akers - Marquette University & WICPA
· Karin Gale - Schenk CPA Firm & WICPA Institute
Registrations for Information Only
June 01, 2017 Executive Session Held
Present: (8) Representative Horlacher; Representatives Ballweg, Hutton, Jacque, Macco, Quinn, Genrich and Anderson.
Absent: (0) None.
Excused: (1) Representative Brostoff.
Moved by Representative Horlacher, seconded by Representative Jacque that Assembly Amendment 1 be recommended for adoption.
Ayes: (3) Representative Horlacher; Representatives Hutton and Jacque.
Noes: (5) Representatives Ballweg, Macco, Quinn, Genrich and Anderson.
ASSEMBLY AMENDMENT 1 ADOPTION NOT RECOMMENDED, Ayes 3, Noes 5
Moved by Representative Jacque, seconded by Representative Genrich that Assembly Bill 188 be recommended for passage.
Ayes: (7) Representatives Ballweg, Hutton, Jacque, Macco, Quinn, Genrich and Anderson.
Noes: (1) Representative Horlacher.
PASSAGE RECOMMENDED, Ayes 7, Noes 1