- Born Eau Claire, Wisconsin, March 15, 1955; married; 2 children.
- Graduate Eau Claire North H.S. 1973.
- Former owner/operator of window cleaning business, 1973—2011; Chairman of Town of Brunswick, 2001—2007; community organizer for Western Wisconsin Organizing Cooperative of Citizen Action, 2016—18.
- Former member: Eau Claire Area Chamber of Commerce; Valley Gospel Choir (president); Eau Claire Male Chorus; Eau Claire Kiwanis Club; Eau Claire Area School District Parent Advisory Committee (founder and chair); Eau Claire Family Resource Center Board; Governor's Task Force for Educational Excellence; Wisconsin PTA state board; DPI Parent Leadership Corps; Wisconsin Alliance for Excellent Schools; Township Fire Department board (vice president); Tainter-Menomin Lake Association board; UW Extension Community Partner Advisory Group.
- Elected to Assembly 2006—2008. Elected to Senate 2018.