Record of Committee Proceedings
Committee on Elections, Ethics and Rural Issues
Senate Bill 515
Relating to: regulation of physician assistants, creating a Physician Assistant Examining Board, extending the time limit for emergency rule procedures, providing an exemption from emergency rule procedures, granting rule-making authority, and providing a penalty.
By Senators Bernier, Kooyenga, Hansen, Tiffany, Schachtner and Bewley; cosponsored by Representatives VanderMeer, Edming, Considine, Quinn, Felzkowski, Rohrkaste, Mursau, Sortwell, James, Summerfield, Tittl, Krug, Vruwink, Spiros, Dittrich, Anderson, Doyle, Kulp, Oldenburg and Ramthun.
October 18, 2019 Referred to Committee on Elections, Ethics and Rural Issues
January 15, 2020 Public Hearing Held
Present: (5) Senator Bernier; Senators Tiffany, Kooyenga, Miller and Smith.
Absent: (0) None.
Excused: (0) None.
· Senator Kathy Bernier - 23rd Senate District
· Dr Jonathan Truwit - Froedtert - Medical College of Wisconsin
· Sarah VanderLinden - Froedtert - Hospital Medical College
· Julie Doyle - Wisconsin Academy of PAs
· Eric Elliot - Wisconsin Academy of PAs
· VP Workforce aNd Clinical Practice Ann Zenk - Wisconsin Hospital Association
· General Counsel Matthew Stanford - Wisconsin Hospital Association
· Miss Khou Xiong - Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewas
· Dr Ann Merkow - QuadMed
· Aracelis Miranda Spindt - 1970
· Carleen Freesmeier
· Terry Derks - Medical College Of WI
· Tamyra Trice - Progressive Community Health Centers
· PA-C Tara Streit - WAPA
· Michael Horowitz
· Bud Chumbley - Wisconsin Medical Society
· Dr Joanna Bisgrove - Wisconsin Medical Society
· Tim Hoven - Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians
· Dr Robert Sander - Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians
Appearances for Information Only
· Representative Dave Considine - 81st Assembly District
· Representative Nancy VanderMeer - 70th Assembly District
· Physician Assistant Ashley Cyr - WAPA
· Reid Bowers - WAPA
· DIrector Government Affairs Elizabeth Cliffe - Ascension
· Ryan Natzke - Marshfield Clinic
· Jeremy Levin - Rural WI Health Cooperative
· Andrew Hanus - Aurora Health Care
· Eric Bott - Americans for Prosperity Wisconsin
· Jeffrey Oryall
· Debra Danforth
· Dr Nicole Hemkes - Wisconsin Medical Society
· HJ Waukau - Wisconsin Medical Society
· AJ Wilson - WI Society of Anesthesiologists
· AJ Wilson - Wisconsin Psychiatric Association
· AJ Wilson - WI Academy Of Ophthalmology
· Dr Gregg Bogost - Wisconsin Radiolgical Society
Registrations for Information Only
February 12, 2020 Executive Session Held
Present: (4) Senator Bernier; Senators Tiffany, Miller and Smith.
Absent: (0) None.
Excused: (1) Senator Kooyenga.
Moved by Senator Bernier, seconded by Senator Miller that Senate Substitute Amendment 1 be recommended for adoption.
Ayes: (4) Senator Bernier; Senators Tiffany, Miller and Smith.
Noes: (0) None.
SENATE SUBSTITUTE AMENDMENT 1 ADOPTION RECOMMENDED, Ayes 4, Noes 0
Moved by Senator Bernier, seconded by Senator Smith that Senate Bill 515 be recommended for passage as amended.
Ayes: (3) Senator Bernier; Senators Tiffany and Smith.
Noes: (1) Senator Miller.
PASSAGE AS AMENDED RECOMMENDED, Ayes 3, Noes 1