- Born Milwaukee, Wisconsin, March 28, 1960; married; 2 children.
- Graduate Bay View High School; Bowhay Institute Fellow, La Follette School, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2001; Flemming Fellow, Center for Policy Alternatives, 2003.
- Former small business manager.
- Member: American Council of Young Political Leaders (Delegate to Israel and Palestine, 2001); Milwaukee Committee on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault; Major, Wisconsin Wing, Civil Air Patrol Legislative Squadron (official Auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force); Milwaukee City Council Parents and Teachers Association; Bay View Historical Society; Bay View Neighborhood Association; State Assembly Milwaukee Caucus (chair 2005, 2003).
- Former member: Delegate—U.S. President Electoral College, 2000; State Minimum Wage Council (governor’s appointee), 2005; Assembly Democratic Task Force on Working Families (chair), 2003.
- Recipient: Wisconsin Environmental Decade Clean 16 2000; Wisconsin Ob/Gyn Physicians’ Legislator of the Year 2000; Wisconsin Coalition Against Domestic Violence DV Diva 2003; Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs Certificates of Commendation 2006, 2005; Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters Conservation Champion 2017, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007; Wisconsin Women’s Alliance Legislation Award 2009–10; Professional Firefighters of Wisconsin Legislator of the Year 2010; Wisconsin Grocers Association Friend of Grocers 2010; Cudahy Veterans’ Service Award 2010; AMVETS State Legislative Advocacy Award 2011; Mothers Against Drunk Driving Legislator of the Year 2018.
- Milwaukee School Board, 1991–98.
- Elected to Assembly since 1998.
- Leadership positions: Minority Caucus Sergeant at Arms 2019, 2017; Minority Caucus Secretary 2001.