- Born Painesville, Ohio, November 10, 1951; married; 5 children, 5 grandchildren.
- Graduate James Ford Rhodes High School (Cleveland, Ohio), 1969; B.A., Case Western Reserve University, 1973; M. Ed., University of Maine, 1977.
- Full-time legislator. Former Community Relations Officer, Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority; former Dean of Students, Northland College; former executive director, Mary H. Rice Foundation.
- Member: Original cast member at Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua and current member of the Rittenhouse Chamber Singers; Wisconsin Family Impact Seminar (advisory board member); Wisconsin Paper Caucus (vice chair); Democratic National Committee.
- Former Member: Governor’s Task Force on Opioid Abuse; Fostering Futures Policy Advisory Committee.
- Recipient: Wisconsin Association of Free & Charitable Clinics Legislative Advocate of the Year 2019; Professional Fire Fighters of Wisconsin Legislator of the Year 2018; Wisconsin Economic Development Association Champion of Economic Development 2018; Wisconsin Builders Association Friend of Housing 2018, 2016, 2014; Wisconsin Electric Cooperative Association Enlightened Legislator of the Year 2018; Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters Conservation Champion 2018, 2014, 2012; Wisconsin Brewers Guild Friend of Wisconsin Craft Brewers 2013.
- Ashland City Council, 2007–09.
- Elected to Assembly 2010–12. Elected to Senate 2014. Leadership positions: Assistant Minority Leader 2017.
- Additional appointments, 2017: Wisconsin Council on Forestry; Governor’s Task Force on Opioid Abuse.