2021 WISCONSIN ACT 60
An Act to amend 454.20 (2); and
to create 454.20 (11m) and 454.20 (12m) of the statutes; relating to: practicing hair braiding without a license.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
454.20 (2) of the statutes is amended to read:
454.20 (2) “Barbering" means, for compensation, arranging, styling, dressing, shampooing, cleansing, curling, dyeing, tinting, coloring, bleaching, waxing, waving, straightening, cutting, shaving, trimming, relaxing, singeing, or performing similar work upon the hair of the head, neck, or face of any person by any means. “Barbering" does not include the removal of a person's hair at the root, natural hair braiding, or the application of temporary or permanent eyelash extensions to the eyelashes of a person.
454.20 (11m) of the statutes is created to read:
454.20 (11m) “Mechanical device” means a clip, comb, crochet hook, curler, curling iron, hairpin, roller, scissors, needle, thread, or hair binder.
454.20 (12m) of the statutes is created to read:
454.20 (12m) (a) “Natural hair braiding” means twisting, wrapping, weaving, extending, locking, crocheting, or braiding hair by hand or with a mechanical device. “Natural hair braiding” includes all of the following:
1. Using natural or synthetic hair extensions, natural or synthetic hair or fibers, decorative beads, and other hair accessories.
2. Trimming of natural hair or hair extensions incidental to twisting, wrapping, weaving, extending, locking, crocheting, or braiding hair.
3. Making wigs from natural hair, natural fibers, synthetic fibers, or hair extensions.
4. Using topical agents such as conditioners, gels, moisturizers, oils, pomades, and shampoos in conjunction with an activity described in this paragraph.
(b) “Natural hair braiding” does not include any of the following:
1. The application of dyes, reactive chemicals, or other preparations to alter the color of the hair or to straighten, curl, or alter the structure of the hair.
2. Using chemical hair joining agents such as synthetic tape, keratin bonds, or fusion bonds.