2021 - 2022 LEGISLATURE
March 10, 2022 - Introduced by Representatives Shankland, Allen,
Cabral-Guevara and S. Rodriguez, cosponsored by Senator Jacque. Referred
to Committee on Rules.
1An Act to renumber
303.065 (5) (a); to amend
303.065 (5) (intro.); and to create
303.065 (5) (ad) to (ap) of the statutes; relating to: withholdings from the
3salary or wages of an employed inmate.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Under current law, an employed inmate's salary or wages are collected by the
Department of Corrections and then disbursed in a set order. Currently, the salary
or wages are disbursed as follows:
1. To cover the board of the prisoner, including food and clothing.
2. To pay necessary travel expenses to and from work and other incidental
expenses of the prisoner.
3. To pay the crime victim and witness assistance surcharge.
4. To pay the DNA analysis surcharge.
5. To support the prisoner's dependants.
6. To pay the child pornography surcharge.
7. To pay the drug offender diversion surcharge.
8. To pay a reasonable room charge, as determined by the department.
9. To pay for legal representation.
10. To pay the prisoner's obligations acknowledged by the prisoner in writing
or which have been reduced to judge.
11. The balance, if any, to the prisoner upon the prisoner's discharge.
This bill adds court-ordered child or family support, restitution, and certain
fees to the list of items that may be withheld from the salary or wages of an employed
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do
enact as follows:
303.065 (5) (intro.) of the statutes is amended to read:
(intro.) The salaries or wages of any employed inmates shall be 3
disbursed by the department in the order stated at an amount or a percentage the
4department determines is reasonable
303.065 (5) (a) of the statutes is renumbered 303.065 (5) (at).
303.065 (5) (ad) to (ap) of the statutes are created to read:
(ad) Child or family support if ordered by a court;
(ah) Restitution ordered under s. 973.20;
(ap) Fees or costs under s. 814.29 (1m) (c), (d), and (e) and s. 814.25 (3);