2023 - 2024 LEGISLATURE
March 6, 2024 - Introduced by Representatives Shankland, Ohnstad and Sinicki,
cosponsored by Senator Jacque. Referred to Committee on Corrections.
AB1131,1,3 1An Act to renumber 303.065 (5) (a); to amend 303.065 (5) (intro.); and to create
2303.065 (5) (ad) to (ap) of the statutes; relating to: withholdings from the
3salary or wages of an employed inmate.
Analysis by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Under current law, an employed inmate's salary or wages are collected by the
Department of Corrections and then disbursed in a set order. Currently, the salary
or wages are disbursed as follows:
1. To cover the board of the prisoner, including food and clothing.
2. To pay necessary travel expenses to and from work and other incidental
expenses of the prisoner.
3. To pay the crime victim and witness assistance surcharge.
4. To pay the DNA analysis surcharge.
5. To support the prisoner's dependants.
6. To pay the child pornography surcharge.
7. To pay the drug offender diversion surcharge.
8. To pay a reasonable room charge, as determined by DOC.
9. To pay for legal representation.
10. To pay the prisoner's obligations acknowledged by the prisoner in writing
or which have been reduced to judgment.
11. The balance, if any, to the prisoner upon the prisoner's discharge.

This bill adds court-ordered child or family support, restitution, and certain
fees to the list of items that may be withheld from the salary or wages of an employed
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do
enact as follows:
AB1131,1 1Section 1. 303.065 (5) (intro.) of the statutes is amended to read:
AB1131,2,42 303.065 (5) (intro.) The salaries or wages of any employed inmates shall be
3disbursed by the department in the order stated at an amount or a percentage the
4department determines is reasonable
AB1131,2 5Section 2. 303.065 (5) (a) of the statutes is renumbered 303.065 (5) (at).
AB1131,3 6Section 3. 303.065 (5) (ad) to (ap) of the statutes are created to read:
AB1131,2,77 303.065 (5) (ad) Child or family support if ordered by a court;
AB1131,2,88 (ah) Restitution ordered under s. 973.20;
AB1131,2,99 (ap) Fees and costs under s. 814.25 (3) and 814.29 (1m) (c), (d), and (e);
AB1131,2,1010 (End)