66.1111(4)(a)(a) In the earliest stage of planning any action related to the following, a political subdivision shall determine if its proposed action will affect any historic property which is a listed property, as defined under s. 44.31 (4), or which is on the list of locally designated historic places under s. 44.45:
66.1111(4)(a)1. 1. Long-range planning for facilities development.
66.1111(4)(a)2. 2. Any action under sub. (3).
66.1111(4)(a)3. 3. Razing any historic property which it owns.
66.1111(4)(b) (b) A political subdivision shall notify the state historic preservation officer of any proposed action which it determines under par. (a) would affect any historic property.
66.1111(5) (5)Grants. A political subdivision may make grants of funds to any public or private entity for the purpose of preserving or rehabilitating historic property.
66.1111 History History: 1987 a. 395; 1989 a. 31; 1999 a. 150 s. 88; Stats. 1999 s. 66.1111.
66.1113 66.1113 Premier resort areas.
66.1113(1) (1)Definitions. In this section:
66.1113(1)(a) (a) "Infrastructure expenses" means the costs of purchasing, constructing or improving parking lots; access ways; transportation facilities, including roads and bridges; sewer and water facilities; parks, boat ramps, beaches and other recreational facilities; fire fighting equipment; police vehicles; ambulances; and other equipment or materials dedicated to public safety or public works.
66.1113(1)(b) (b) "Political subdivision" means a city, village, town or county.
66.1113(1)(c) (c) "Premier resort area" means a political subdivision whose governing body enacts an ordinance or adopts a resolution under sub. (2) (a).
66.1113(1)(d) (d) "Tourism-related retailers" means retailers classified in the standard industrial classification manual, 1987 edition, published by the U.S. office of management and budget under the following industry numbers:
66.1113(1)(d)1. 1. 5331 — Variety stores.
66.1113(1)(d)2. 2. 5399 — Miscellaneous general merchandise stores.
66.1113(1)(d)3. 3. 5441 — Candy, nut and confectionary stores.
66.1113(1)(d)4. 4. 5451 — Dairy product stores.
66.1113(1)(d)5. 5. 5461 — Retail bakeries.
66.1113(1)(d)6. 6. 5541 — Gasoline service stations.
66.1113(1)(d)7. 7. 5812 — Eating places.
66.1113(1)(d)8. 8. 5813 — Drinking places.
66.1113(1)(d)9. 9. 5912 — Drug stores and proprietary stores.
66.1113(1)(d)10. 10. 5921 — Liquor stores.
66.1113(1)(d)11. 11. 5941 — Sporting goods stores and bicycle shops.
66.1113(1)(d)12. 12. 5946 — Camera and photographic supply stores.
66.1113(1)(d)13. 13. 5947 — Gift, novelty and souvenir shops.
66.1113(1)(d)14. 14. 7011 — Hotels and motels.
66.1113(1)(d)15. 15. 7032 — Sporting and recreational camps.
66.1113(1)(d)16. 16. 7033 — Recreational vehicle parks and campsites.
66.1113(1)(d)17. 17. 7948 — Racing, including track operation.
66.1113(1)(d)18. 18. 7992 — Public golf courses.
66.1113(1)(d)19. 19. 7993 — Coin-operated amusement devices.
66.1113(1)(d)20. 20. 7996 — Amusement parks.
66.1113(1)(d)21. 21. 7999 — Amusement and recreational services, not elsewhere classified.
66.1113(2) (2)Premier resort area creation.
66.1113(2)(a)(a) The governing body of a political subdivision, by a two-thirds vote of the members of the governing body who are present when the vote is taken, may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution declaring itself to be a premier resort area if at least 40% of the equalized assessed value of the taxable property within such political subdivision is used by tourism-related retailers.
66.1113(2)(b) (b) A political subdivision that is a premier resort area may impose the tax under s. 77.994.
66.1113(2)(c) (c) If 2 or more contiguous political subdivisions that are premier resort areas each impose the tax under s. 77.994, they may enter into a contract under s. 66.0301 to cooperate in paying for infrastructure expenses, in addition to any other authority they have to act under s. 66.0301.
66.1113(2)(d) (d) The proceeds from a tax that is imposed under s. 77.994 and this subsection may be used only to pay for infrastructure expenses within the jurisdiction of a premier resort area.
66.1113(3) (3)Jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a premier resort area is coterminous with the boundaries of a political subdivision whose governing body enacts an ordinance or adopts a resolution under sub. (2) (a) or with the boundaries of 2 or more political subdivisions that enter into a contract under sub. (2) (c).
66.1113 History History: 1997 a. 27; 1999 a. 150 s. 364; Stats. 1999 s. 66.1113.
subch. XII of ch. 66 SUBCHAPTER XII
66.1201 66.1201 Housing authorities.
66.1201(1)(1)Short title. Sections 66.1201 to 66.1211 may be referred to as the "Housing Authorities Law".
66.1201(2) (2)Finding and declaration of necessity. It is declared that there exist in the state insanitary or unsafe dwelling accommodations and that persons of low income are forced to reside in insanitary or unsafe accommodations; that within the state there is a shortage of safe or sanitary dwelling accommodations available at rents which persons of low income can afford and that these persons are forced to occupy overcrowded and congested dwelling accommodations; that the conditions described in this subsection cause an increase in and spread of disease and crime and constitute a menace to the health, safety, morals and welfare of the residents of the state and impair economic values; that these conditions necessitate excessive and disproportionate expenditures of public funds for crime prevention and punishment, public health and safety, fire and accident protection, and other public services and facilities; that these slum areas cannot be cleared, nor can the shortage of safe and sanitary dwellings for persons of low income be relieved, through the operation of private enterprise, and that the construction of housing projects for persons of low income would, therefore, not be competitive with private enterprise; that the clearance, replanning and reconstruction of the areas in which insanitary or unsafe housing conditions exist and the providing of safe and sanitary dwelling accommodations for persons of low income are public uses and purposes for which public money may be spent and private property acquired and are governmental functions of state concern; that it is in the public interest that work on these projects be commenced as soon as possible in order to relieve unemployment which now constitutes an emergency; and the necessity in the public interest for the provisions of this section, is declared as a matter of legislative determination.
66.1201(2m) (2m)Discrimination. Persons otherwise entitled to any right, benefit, facility or privilege under ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211 shall not be denied them in any manner for any purpose nor be discriminated against because of sex, race, color, creed, sexual orientation or national origin.
66.1201(3) (3)Definitions. In ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211, unless a different meaning clearly appears from the context:
66.1201(3)(a) (a) "Area of operation" includes the city for which a housing authority is created, the area within 5 miles of the territorial boundaries of the city but not beyond the county limits of the county in which the city is located and the area within the limits of the city unless the city annexes the area of operation. "Area of operation" does not include any area which lies within the territorial boundaries of any city for which another housing authority is created by this section.
66.1201(3)(b) (b) "Authority" or "housing authority" means any of the public corporations established pursuant to sub. (4).
66.1201(3)(c) (c) "Bonds" means any bonds, interim certificates, notes, debentures or other obligations of the authority issued pursuant to ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211.
66.1201(3)(cm) (cm) "City clerk" and "mayor" mean the clerk and mayor, respectively, of the city or the officers of the city charged with the duties customarily imposed on the clerk and mayor, respectively.
66.1201(3)(d) (d) "Commissioner" means one of the members of an authority appointed in accordance with ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211.
66.1201(3)(e) (e) "Community facilities" includes real and personal property, and buildings and equipment for recreational or social assemblies, for educational, health or welfare purposes and necessary utilities, when designed primarily for the benefit and use of the housing authority or the occupants of the dwelling accommodations, or for both.
66.1201(3)(f) (f) "Contract" means any agreement of an authority with or for the benefit of an obligee whether contained in a resolution, trust indenture, mortgage, lease, bond or other instrument.
66.1201(3)(g) (g) "Council" means the common council or other body charged with governing a city.
66.1201(3)(h) (h) "Federal government" includes the United States of America and any agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
66.1201(3)(i) (i) "Government" includes the state and federal governments and any subdivision, agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of either of them.
66.1201(3)(j) (j) "Housing projects" includes all real and personal property, building and improvements, and community facilities acquired or constructed pursuant to a single plan either to demolish, clear, remove, alter or repair insanitary or unsafe housing or to provide safe and sanitary dwelling accommodations for persons of low income, or both. "Housing projects" includes the planning of buildings and improvements, the acquisition of property, the demolition of existing structures, the construction, reconstruction, alteration and repair of the improvements and all other related work.
66.1201(3)(k) (k) "Mortgage" includes deeds of trust, mortgages, building and loan contracts, land contracts or other instruments conveying real or personal property as security for bonds and conferring a right to foreclose and cause a sale of the real property or personal property.
66.1201(3)(L) (L) "Obligee of the authority" or "obligee" includes any bondholder, trustee or trustees for any bondholders, any lessor demising property to the authority used in connection with a housing project or any assignee of the lessor's interest or any part of the lessor's interest, and the federal government, when it is a party to any contract with the authority.
66.1201(3)(m) (m) "Persons of low income" means persons or families who lack the amount of income necessary, as determined by the authority undertaking the housing project, to enable them, without financial assistance, to live in decent, safe and sanitary dwellings, without overcrowding.
66.1201(3)(n) (n) "Real property" includes lands, lands under water, structures, and any easements, franchises and incorporeal hereditaments and every estate and right in an estate, legal and equitable, including terms for years and liens by way of judgment, mortgage or otherwise.
66.1201(3)(o) (o) "Slum" means any area where dwellings predominate which, by reason of dilapidation, overcrowding, faulty arrangement or design, lack of ventilation, light or sanitary facilities, or any combination of these factors, are detrimental to safety, health and morals.
66.1201(3)(p) (p) "State public body" means any city, town, village, county, municipal corporation, commission, district, authority, other subdivision or public body of the state.
66.1201(3)(q) (q) "Trust indenture" includes instruments pledging the revenues of real or personal properties.
66.1201(4) (4)Creation of housing authorities.
66.1201(4)(a)(a) When a council declares by resolution that there is need for an authority to function in the city, a public body corporate and politic then exists in the city and shall be known as the "housing authority" of the city. The authority may then transact business and exercise any powers granted to it under this section.
66.1201(4)(b) (b) The council shall adopt a resolution declaring that there is need for a housing authority in the city if the council finds that insanitary or unsafe inhabited dwelling accommodations exist in the city or that there is a shortage of safe or sanitary dwelling accommodations in the city available to persons of low income at rentals they can afford. In determining whether dwelling accommodations are unsafe or insanitary the council may take into consideration the degree of overcrowding, the percentage of land coverage, the light, air, space and access available to the inhabitants of the dwelling accommodations, the size and arrangement of the rooms, the sanitary facilities, and the extent to which conditions exist in the buildings which endanger life or property by fire or other causes.
66.1201(4)(c) (c) In any suit, action or proceeding involving the validity or enforcement of or relating to any contract of the authority, the authority shall be conclusively deemed to have become established and authorized to transact business and exercise its powers under this section upon proof of the adoption of a resolution by the council declaring the need for the authority. The resolution is sufficient if it declares that there is a need for an authority and finds that either or both of the conditions described in par. (b) exist in the city. A copy of the resolution duly certified by the city clerk is admissible evidence in any suit, action or proceeding.
66.1201(5) (5)Appointment, qualifications and tenure of commissioners.
66.1201(5)(a)(a) When the council adopts a resolution under sub. (4), it shall promptly notify the mayor. Upon receiving the notice, the mayor shall, with the confirmation of the council, appoint 5 persons as commissioners of the authority, except that the mayor of a 1st class city that has created a housing authority before May 5, 1994, shall appoint 7 commissioners, at least 2 of whom shall be residents of a housing project acquired or constructed by the authority. No commissioner may be connected in any official capacity with any political party nor may more than 2 be officers of the city in which the authority is created. The powers of each authority shall be vested in the commissioners of the authority.
66.1201(5)(b) (b) The first 5 commissioners who are first appointed shall be designated by the mayor to serve for terms of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 years respectively from the date of their appointment and the 2 additional commissioners appointed by the mayor of a 1st class city under par. (a) shall be first appointed to terms of 3 and 5 years respectively. Thereafter, the term of office shall be 5 years. A commissioner shall hold office until his or her successor has been appointed and has qualified. Vacancies shall be filled for the unexpired term in the same manner as other appointments. Three commissioners constitute a quorum, except that in an authority with 7 commissioners, 4 commissioners constitute a quorum. The mayor shall file with the city clerk a certificate of the appointment or reappointment of any commissioner and the certificate is conclusive evidence of the proper appointment of that commissioner if that commissioner has been confirmed under this paragraph and has taken and filed the official oath before entering office. The council of a city may pay commissioners a per diem and mileage and other necessary expenses incurred in the discharge of their duties at rates established by the council.
66.1201(5)(c) (c) When the office of the first chairperson of the authority becomes vacant, the authority shall select a chairperson from among its members. An authority shall select from among its members a vice chairperson, and it may employ a secretary, who shall be executive director, technical experts and other officers, agents and employees, permanent and temporary and shall determine their qualifications, duties and compensation. An authority may call upon the city attorney or chief law officer of the city for legal services. An authority may delegate to one or more of its agents or employees powers or duties of the authority.
66.1201(6) (6)Duty of the authority and its commissioners. The authority and its commissioners shall comply or cause compliance strictly with all provisions of ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211, with the laws of the state and with any contract of the authority.
66.1201(7) (7)Interested commissioners or employees. No commissioner or employee of an authority may acquire any direct or indirect interest in any housing project or in any property included in any project or have any direct or indirect interest in any contract for insurance, materials or services to be furnished or used in connection with any housing project. If a commissioner or employee of an authority owns or controls a direct or indirect interest in any property included in any housing project, that person shall immediately disclose the interest in writing to the authority and the disclosure shall be entered upon the minutes of the authority. Failure to so disclose the interest constitutes misconduct in office.
66.1201(8) (8)Removal of commissioners. For inefficiency or neglect of duty or misconduct in office, a commissioner of an authority may be removed by the mayor, but a commissioner may be removed only after having been given a copy of the charges at least 10 days before the hearing on the charges and an opportunity to be heard in person or by counsel. If a commissioner is removed, a record of the proceedings, together with the charges and findings, shall be filed in the office of the city clerk. To the extent applicable, the provisions of s. 17.16 relating to removal for cause apply to any removal.
66.1201(9) (9)Powers of authority. An authority is a public body and a body corporate and politic, exercising public powers, and has all the powers necessary or convenient to carry out and effectuate the purposes and provisions of ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211, including the following powers in addition to others granted in this section:
66.1201(9)(a) (a) Within its area of operation to prepare, carry out, acquire, lease and operate housing projects approved by the council; to provide for the construction, reconstruction, improvement, alteration or repair of any housing project or any part of a housing project.
66.1201(9)(b) (b) To take over by purchase, lease or otherwise any housing project undertaken by any government and located within the area of operation of the authority when approved by the council; to purchase, lease, obtain options upon, acquire by gift, grant, bequest, devise, or otherwise, any real or personal property or any interest in the real or personal property.
66.1201(9)(c) (c) To act as agent for any government in connection with the acquisition, construction, operation or management of a housing project or any part of a housing project.
66.1201(9)(d) (d) To arrange or contract for the furnishing of services, privileges, works, or facilities for, or in connection with, a housing project or the occupants of a housing project.
66.1201(9)(e) (e) To lease or rent any dwellings, houses, accommodations, lands, buildings, structures or facilities embraced in any housing project and, subject to the limitations contained in this section, to establish and revise the rents or charges for the housing project.
66.1201(9)(f) (f) Within its area of operation to investigate into living, dwelling and housing conditions and into the means and methods of improving those conditions; and to engage in research and studies on the subject of housing.
66.1201(9)(h) (h) To acquire by eminent domain any real property, including improvements and fixtures on the real property.
66.1201(9)(i) (i) To own, hold, clear and improve property, to insure or provide for the insurance of the property or operations of the authority against any risks, to procure insurance or guarantees from the federal government of the payment of any debts or parts of debts secured by mortgages made or held by the authority on any property included in any housing project.
66.1201(9)(j) (j) To contract for sale and sell any part or all of the interest in real estate acquired and to execute contracts of sale and conveyances as the authority considers desirable.
66.1201(9)(k) (k) In connection with any loan, to agree to limitations upon its right to dispose of any housing project or part of a housing project.
66.1201(9)(L) (L) In connection with any loan by a government, to agree to limitations upon the exercise of any powers conferred upon the authority by ss. 66.1201 to 66.1211.
This is an archival version of the Wis. Stats. database for 1999. See Are the Statutes on this Website Official?