2005 WISCONSIN ACT 53
An Act to create 29.183 of the statutes; relating to: deferral of the use of certain hunting and trapping approvals by certain members of the armed forces and national guard.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
29.183 of the statutes is created to read:
29.183 Deferral of certain approvals. (1) The department shall defer as provided in sub. (4), upon request from a person who meets the requirements under sub. (2) and who submits a request under sub. (3), any of the following approvals that the department issues to the person under a random or preference selection system:
(a) Hunter's choice deer hunting permit.
(b) Bonus deer hunting permit.
(c) Bobcat hunting or trapping permit.
(d) Otter trapping permit.
(e) Fisher trapping permit.
(f) Canada goose hunting permit.
(g) Wild turkey hunting license.
(h) Sharp-tailed grouse hunting permit.
(i) Class A bear license.
(j) Elk hunting license.
(k) Sturgeon spearing license.
(2) A person shall meet all of the following requirements to be eligible for the deferral of an approval under sub. (1):
(a) Be selected under a random or preference selection system for the issuance of any of the approvals listed in sub. (1).
(b) Be serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces or national guard.
(c) Be unable to exercise his or her privilege to fish, hunt, or trap as permitted by that approval due to his or her service on active duty in the U. S. armed forces or national guard.
(3) A person who meets the requirements under sub. (2) may request, or have a request made on his or her behalf, that the department defer the person's approval.
(4) If the department receives a request for a deferral of an approval under sub. (3) and any approval and tags that have already been issued before the day prior to the beginning of that hunting or trapping season, the department shall defer the person's approval.
(5) The department shall notify the person whose approval was deferred under sub. (4) that he or she may receive that deferred approval after his or her active duty ends without applying under the random or preference selection system. A person whose approval was deferred under sub. (4) may apply for that approval during the calendar year that the person ceased serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces or national guard, during the calendar year following the calendar year that the person ceased serving on active duty in the U.S. armed forces or national guard, or earlier if he or she is able to exercise his or her privilege to fish, hunt, or trap. Upon receipt of the appropriate fees and the application form prescribed by the department, the department shall issue the person his or her approval that was deferred.
(1) This act takes effect on the first day of the 4th month beginning after publication.