2005 WISCONSIN ACT 88
An Act to amend 29.024 (2) (d); and to create 29.180 of the statutes; relating to: the transfer of natural resources approvals, preference points, and preference categories and granting rule-making authority.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
29.024 (2) (d) of the statutes is amended to read:
29.024 (2) (d) Except as provided under s. 29.180, 29.182 (4), 29.184 (6m), or 29.519 (2) (d) or by rule, no person may transfer his or her approval or permit the use of any approval by any other person.
29.180 of the statutes is created to read:
29.180 Transfers upon death. (1) In this section:
(a) "Approval" means any of the following approvals that the department issues to the resident or nonresident under a random or preference selection system:
1. Hunter's choice deer hunting permit.
2. Bonus deer hunting permit.
3. Bobcat hunting or trapping permit.
4. Otter trapping permit.
5. Fisher trapping permit.
6. Canada goose hunting permit.
7. Wild turkey hunting license.
8. Sharp-tailed grouse hunting permit.
9. Class A bear license.
10. Elk hunting license.
11. Sturgeon spearing license.
(b) "Designee" means the decedent's surviving spouse, personal representative, guardian, or trustee that the decedent has designated to transfer his or her preference points, preference categories, or approval to a minor.
(c) "Minor" means a person who is eligible to receive an approval or permit and is under 18 years of age.
(2) (a) When a person dies, the designee may apply to the department to transfer any preference points or preference category related to an approval to a minor. A request to transfer any preference points or preference category authorized under this section shall be submitted on a form provided by the department that contains all of the information requested by the department, including the signatures of both the designee and the minor.
(b) An application to transfer preference points or preference category of a deceased person must be submitted within one year of the person's death.
(c) A minor shall submit an application for an approval by the established application deadline date for that approval.
(3) (a) If a person who has been awarded an approval dies before the first day of the season to which the approval is valid, the designee may apply to the department for the transfer of the approval to a minor. A request to transfer an approval authorized under this section shall be submitted on a form provided by the department that contains all of the information requested by the department, including the signatures of both the designee and the minor.
(b) If the decedent was a resident at the time of death and the designated minor applying for the transfer of an approval is a nonresident, the designated minor shall pay, at the time of application, the difference between the fee paid by the decedent and the fee required for a nonresident minor.
(c) A minor who is transferred an approval retains all preference points or preference categories that he or she has previously accumulated.
(4) A designee may not receive any consideration for the transfer of preference points, preference category, or approvals.
(5) The department may promulgate any rules necessary for the administration of this section.