- Born St. Paul, Minnesota, July 25, 1956; 1 son.
- Graduate River Falls High School; B.S. in Animal Science, University of Minnesota, 1978; Wisconsin Rural Leadership Program, graduate of first class, 1986.
- Member: Pierce County Republican Party; Pierce County Farm Bureau (former director and treasurer); Luther Memorial Church.
- Former member: Wisconsin State FFA Sponsors Board (chair); Wisconsin Conservation Corps Board (secretary); Kinnickinnic River Land Trust Board; Pierce County Dairy Promotion Committee (past chair); Wisconsin State ASCS Committee; Advisory Council on Small Business, Agriculture and Labor for Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Elected to Assembly 1988–96. Elected to Senate since 2000. Leadership positions: majority caucus chair 2017, 2015; majority caucus vice chair 2013, 2011; minority caucus vice chair 2009; majority caucus sergeant at arms 2005.
Member of Midwestern Higher Education Commission