1995 WISCONSIN ACT 286
An Act to repeal 145.07 (4) (b); to renumber and amend 145.03 and 145.03; to consolidate, renumber and amend 145.07 (4) (intro.) and (a); and to repeal and recreate 145.07 (4) of the statutes; relating to: plumbing apprenticeships.
The people of the state of Wisconsin, represented in senate and assembly, do enact as follows:
145.03 of the statutes is renumbered 145.03 (1) and amended to read:
145.03 (1) The department may prescribe the conditions under which any a person may serve a plumbing apprenticeship, as to preliminary and technical college attendance requirements, and the credit for school attendance in serving the apprenticeship.
(2) Every person commencing a plumbing apprenticeship shall be indentured under ch. 106 s. 106.01. The term of a plumbing apprentice is 4 5 years, but the department may upon application of the apprentice, the apprentice's employer or both extend the term for up to one additional year.
(3) After the expiration of an apprenticeship term, no apprentice may engage in the business of plumbing either as an apprentice or as a journeyman plumber unless the apprentice secures a journeyman plumber's license. In case of failure to pass the examination for the license, he or she may continue to serve as an apprentice but not beyond the time for reexamination for a journeyman plumber's license, as prescribed by the rules of the department.
(4) In order that the apprentice may qualify at the end of apprenticeship as a skilled mechanic in the art of installing plumbing work, the department may prescribe the level of supervision of an apprentice and the character of plumbing work that the apprentice may do during the 3rd and year of the apprenticeship term. An apprentice in the 4th or 5th year of the apprenticeship term may install plumbing under the direction or supervision of a master or journeyman plumber without either the master or journeyman being physically present, provided that the master plumber in charge shall be responsible for the work.
145.03 of the statutes, as affected by 1995 Wisconsin Act .... (this act), is renumbered 106.025, and 106.025 (title), as renumbered, is amended to read:
106.025 Apprenticeship Plumber apprenticeships.
145.07 (4) of the statutes, as affected by 1995 Wisconsin Act .... (this act), is repealed and recreated to read:
145.07 (4) An applicant for examination for licensure as a journeyman plumber shall submit evidence satisfactory to the department that he or she has completed a plumbing apprenticeship under s. 106.025.
145.07 (4) (intro.) and (a) of the statutes are consolidated, renumbered 145.07 (4) and amended to read:
145.07 (4) An applicant for examination for licensure as a journeyman plumber shall submit evidence satisfactory to the department as follows: (a) Completion of a 4-year that he or she has completed a plumbing apprenticeship consisting of not less than 1,600 hours per year and completion of all requirements as to shop training and related instruction as the department by rule prescribes under s. 145.03.
145.07 (4) (b) of the statutes is repealed.
(1) Plumbing apprenticeships. This act first applies to a person who commences a plumbing apprenticeship on the effective date of this subsection.
This act takes effect on the day after publication, except as follows:
(1) The treatment of section 145.03 (by Section 2) of the statutes and the repeal and recreation of section 145.07 (4) of the statutes take effect on July 1, 1996, or on the day after publication, whichever is later.