21.49(3)(a)(a) Any eligible guard member upon satisfactory completion of a full-time or part-time course in a qualifying school is eligible for a tuition grant equal to 100% of the actual tuition charged by the school or 100% of the maximum resident undergraduate tuition charged by the university of Wisconsin-Madison for a comparable number of credits, whichever amount is less.
21.49(3)(b) (b) Application for tuition grants shall:
21.49(3)(b)1. 1. Be submitted to the department for approval of payment no later than 90 days after the completion date of the course;
21.49(3)(b)2. 2. Contain such information and be in such form as the department requires to establish that the applicant qualifies for the grant; and
21.49(3)(b)3. 3. Contain the signatures of both the guard member claiming the grant and a representative of the school, certifying that the member has satisfactorily completed the course.
21.49(3)(c) (c) Except as provided under par. (d), upon determination that the applicant is eligible to receive the payment, the department shall make payment of the tuition grant to the applicant in the amount determined under par. (a).
21.49(3)(d) (d) Tuition grants under this section shall be paid out of the appropriation under s. 20.465 (2) (a).
21.49(3m) (3m)Repayment of grants. The department may require a guard member who has received a grant under this section to repay the amount of the grant to the department if the national guard member, within 12 months of receipt of the grant, fails to meet any of the national guard service eligibility criteria established by the department by rule.
21.49(4) (4)Limitations.
21.49(4)(a)(a) No guard member is eligible for benefits under this section for more than 120 credits of part-time study or 8 full semesters of full-time study or the equivalent thereof.
21.49(4)(b) (b) If the U.S. congress establishes an active draft after July 1, 1977, no new grants may be authorized under this section. The department shall determine if an active draft has been established. Any termination of the grant program under this paragraph shall allow persons receiving grants prior to the establishment of an active draft to receive full benefits subject to sub. (3) (d) and par. (a).
21.50 21.50 Military property accountability.
21.50(1) (1) Each commanding officer to whom state or federal military property is issued may be required to execute to the state a bond, with such sureties and in such form and amount as the adjutant general shall approve, conditioned for the faithful preservation and care of all such arms, accoutrements, moneys, or stores, that the officer received, to indemnify the state against loss by misuse or misapplication by the officer or any other person; to account for all of the same according to law, and to deliver the same to any officer lawfully entitled thereto, on demand, and to pay all sums lawfully appraised for losses or damages.
21.50(2) (2) The unit commander is the legal custodian of the money, property and effects of any company sized unit or detachment of the national guard, whether said property is owned by said unit or detachment or its members collectively, or has been issued to it or any of its officers, for its use by state or United States authority, and may sue for and recover possession of the same, whenever wrongfully withheld from the unit commander's custody or the custody of the unit or detachment.
21.50(3) (3) The adjutant general, with the approval of the governor may obtain and pay for out of the annual military appropriation an adequate indemnity bond covering all of the officers of the Wisconsin national guard responsible to the state for moneys and military property.
21.50(4) (4) Each company commander, with the approval of the adjutant general, may employ an armorer to assist in the proper care of military property for which the company commander is accountable.
21.50 History History: 1975 c. 189, 421; 1991 a. 316.
21.51 21.51 Discharge of officers. Any officer may be discharged by the governor pursuant to the Wisconsin code of military justice or upon resignation or disability preventing full discharge of the duties of his or her office.
21.51 History History: 1991 a. 316.
21.52 21.52 Authority to administer oaths. Any officer of the national guard or any officer of the U.S. armed forces may administer oaths of enlistment.
21.52 History History: 1979 c. 221.
21.54 21.54 Resignation of officer. A commissioned officer may resign the officer's commission to the officer's immediate commanding officer, in writing, who shall promptly forward the same through military channels to the adjutant general. The governor shall, by order, accept or reject the same, and, if accepted, fix the date of its taking effect. No resignation shall take effect except as so ordered.
21.54 History History: 1991 a. 316.
21.56 21.56 Lost and obsolete property.
21.56(1) (1) All state-owned military property issued to any officer or armory facility manager shall be audited annually as a part of the annual inspection of federal property accounts. When damages other than fair wear and tear or loss of state-owned property is discovered, the adjutant general shall appoint a surveying officer to determine the cause and fix blame. Upon review, the adjutant general may hold responsible individuals pecuniarily liable, and may require a depreciated payment, as determined by the adjutant general, into the state treasury. If it is determined that the property was damaged, destroyed or lost without fault or neglect on the part of those responsible, all concerned may be relieved of liability.
21.56(2) (2) Whenever any state-owned military property becomes unsuitable, unserviceable or no longer required for military purposes, it shall be disposed of as surplus property subject to s. 16.72 (4) and (5).
21.56 History History: 1971 c. 100 s. 23; 1975 c. 189; 1989 a. 31.
21.57 21.57 Disposition of property on separation and death.
21.57(1)(1) Whenever any officer who is responsible for state property is separated or reassigned, all property in the officer's possession or for which the officer is responsible shall be delivered to the person designated to receive the property by the adjutant general. No separation shall be effective until all property accounts have been settled.
21.57(2) (2) In case of the death of any officer having custody of state property, the next in command shall immediately take charge of such property and deliver the same to the person appointed to receive the property by the adjutant general.
21.57 History History: 1975 c. 189, 421.
21.59 21.59 Issue of subsistence. The adjutant general, during state active duty of the national guard or state defense force, shall issue subsistence to personnel.
21.59 History History: 1975 c. 94 s. 91 (1); 1975 c. 189; 1987 a. 63 s. 13.
21.60 21.60 Discharge of enlistees. Enlistees shall be discharged as provided in the laws and regulations of the United States governing the national guard.
21.60 History History: 1975 c. 94 s. 91 (1).
21.61 21.61 Armories.
21.61(1)(1) The governing body of any city, village, town or county in which one or more companies of the national guard may be located may erect or purchase a suitable armory for the purpose of drill and for the safekeeping of the arms, equipment, uniforms and other military property furnished by the state, and for public meetings and conventions, when such use will not interfere with the use of such building by the national guard. Plans and specifications for such armories shall be inspected and approved by the governor and the adjutant general who shall file with the governing body of the city, village, town or county a certificate of such inspection and approval prior to the erection thereof.
21.61(3) (3) The governing body of any city, village, town or county in which any such company of the national guard may be located may purchase land and build armories in the same manner as the governing body is now authorized by law to build other city, village, town or county buildings, and when unable to agree upon the price of land with its owner may, if in its opinion necessary, appropriate land for the purpose of building armories in the same manner as the governing body is now authorized by law to appropriate real estate for other city, village, town or county buildings. In case however a city, village, town or county shall have aided in the erection of an armory and the company or companies of the national guard for which the armory was erected shall at any time be disbanded, then the armory shall become the property of the city, village, town or county in which the armory is erected.
21.61(4) (4) Such armory, when erected or purchased, shall be under the control and charge of the governor, the adjutant general and commanding officer of the company or companies of the national guard for which it has been provided. The commanding officer shall cause to be deposited therein, all arms, uniforms and equipment received from the governor and the adjutant general who may make such rules as they deem proper for the observance of all officers and persons having charge of such armories or occupying any part thereof.
21.61(5) (5) Whenever any county, city, town or village erects a building as a memorial to the soldiers, sailors and marines who served in any war or armed conflict of the United States and makes provision therein for the accommodation of one or more companies of the national guard having no regularly established armory, the governor, adjutant general or other state officers having control of armory accommodations and regulations shall, whenever practicable, rent the armory provided in such memorial building for the use of companies of the national guard.
21.61 History History: 1975 c. 189; 1983 a. 27; 1993 a. 246.
21.612 21.612 Transfer of lands for military purposes. Any county, city, town or village may transfer land or may acquire land for the purpose of transferring the same, by gift or otherwise, to the state for state military purposes, and any such transfers or acquisitions heretofore made for such purposes are validated.
21.612 History History: 1973 c. 90.
21.616 21.616 Facilities for administration and training. The department of military affairs is authorized and directed, when contributions therefor are made available by the federal government under the national defense facilities act of 1950 or any act or acts amendatory thereof or supplementary thereto, to expand, rehabilitate, equip or convert facilities owned by the state and to acquire, construct, expand, rehabilitate, equip or convert additional facilities. The department of military affairs may on the part of the state accept such federal contributions in the manner prescribed by federal law or regulation, and may accept on behalf of the state the lawful terms and conditions thereof. The department of military affairs shall take such steps and have all the functions and powers necessary, consistent with the appropriation therefor, to acquire contributions under any such federal act and to undertake and complete any such project in conformity with the applicable federal act and this section.
21.62 21.62 Rules for issuance of state property to bands. The governor may, by orders, prescribe and establish such rules and regulations for the issuing of state property to bands and the giving of security therefor, the mustering, inspection, property and other returns, as the governor deems proper.
21.62 History History: 1991 a. 316.
21.63 21.63 Grounds for mustering out of units. If any company sized unit or detachment falls below the minimum in membership, becomes insubordinate, lax in discipline or negligent in drill or other duties, if its members lose interest in their organization, if, upon inspection, it appears that the unit or detachment is not properly organized or conducted, or if the unit or detachment does not make musters and returns, the governor may muster out the unit or detachment and may direct all persons holding arms, equipment and military stores to return the property. Any person, not a member of the national guard in good standing, who retains arms or other property belonging to the state, as owner or bailee, after the governor directs the return of the property, shall forfeit not less than $50 nor more than $200.
21.63 History History: 1979 c. 221.
21.70 21.70 Counter-drug activities.
21.70(1) (1) The governor may request volunteers of the national guard to provide assistance to federal, state and local law enforcement officers, within or outside the boundaries of this state, in drug interdiction and counter-drug activities under 32 USC 112. These activities may include the operation and maintenance of equipment and facilities. The governor may order, with their consent, any national guard members who volunteer under this section to duty in federally funded status. The governor may delegate his or her authority under this section to the adjutant general. The adjutant general shall follow all laws and regulations of the U.S. department of defense when ordering national guard members to perform drug interdiction and counter-drug activities under this section.
21.70(2) (2) A national guard member assisting in drug interdiction and counter-drug activities under this section shall obey and execute the instructions of a law enforcement officer involved in these activities given to the national guard member through the military chain of command.
21.70 History History: 1991 a. 47.
This is an archival version of the Wis. Stats. database for 1999. See Are the Statutes on this Website Official?