(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to any residential master electrician or to any other type of master electrician that may be recognized under s. 101.84 (5). The qualifying criteria required for licensing residential master electricians and any other such type of master electrician shall be established by the department by rule.
101.87 (title) of the statutes is amended to read:
101.87 (title) Requirements for journeymen journeyman electricians.
101.87 (1) (intro.) of the statutes is amended to read:
101.87 (1) (intro.) The rules governing the licensing of journeymen electricians under s. 101.82 (1m) shall require that an An applicant for licensure as a journeyman electrician who is not a residential journeyman electrician shall have at least one of the following qualifications:
101.87 (1) (a) of the statutes is amended to read:
101.87 (1) (a) Completion of an a construction electrician apprenticeship program in installing, repairing, and maintaining electrical wiring that has a duration of at least 4 3 years and that is approved by the U.S. department of labor and or by the department of workforce development, followed by passage of an examination required by the department.
101.87 (1) (b) of the statutes is amended to read:
101.87 (1) (b) Experience in installing, repairing, and maintaining electrical wiring for at least 60 during a period of not less than 48 months and, with at least 8,000 hours of experience over that period, followed by passage of an examination required by the department.
101.87 (2m) and (3m) of the statutes are created to read:
101.87 (2m) For purposes of meeting the requirement relating to experience under sub. (1) (b), a degree or diploma from a 2-year program in a school of electrical engineering or from a 2-year program in an accredited technical or vocational school in an electrical-related program shall be accepted by the department as being equivalent to 12 months and 2,000 hours of experience.
(3m) Subsection (1) does not apply to any residential or industrial journeyman electricians or to any other type of journeyman electrician that may be recognized under s. 101.84 (5). The qualifying criteria required for licensing residential and industrial journeyman electricians and any other such type of journeyman electrician shall be established by the department by rule.
101.87 (5) of the statutes is repealed.
101.874 of the statutes is created to read:
101.874 Reciprocity. (1) In this section, "credential" means a registration, license, certification, or other approval to perform or inspect electrical work.
(2) The department may enter into a reciprocal agreement with another state under which credentials issued to electricians, electrical apprentices, electrical contractors, and electrical inspectors by either state are recognized as comparable credentials by the other state. Under the agreement, the department may recognize credentials from the other state only if the education, experience, and examination requirements in the other state are at least equivalent to the education, experience, and examination requirements for being issued credentials under this subchapter.
(3) Upon entering into an agreement under this section, the department may issue a credential only if all of the following apply:
(a) The individual seeking the credential submits an application and pays the applicable fee established under s. 101.82 (4).
(b) The individual holds a valid comparable credential issued by the other state.
101.875 (title) of the statutes is created to read:
101.875 (title) Inspections.
101.875 (2) of the statutes is created to read:
101.875 (2) Any rule promulgated under s. 101.82 (2m) may not require the inspection of any of the installation, repair, or maintenance of electrical wiring within an existing industrial facility or an existing manufacturing facility unless the plan for the installation, repair, or maintenance is required to be examined under s. 101.12 (2) by the department or by a municipality that has its examinations accepted by the department under s. 101.12 (3) (a), (am), or (b).
101.88 (2) of the statutes is renumbered 101.875 (1) and amended to read:
101.875 (1) All inspections of electrical wiring shall be made performed by persons inspectors certified by the department.
(1) The treatment of sections 101.868 and 101.87 (title), (1) (intro.), (a), and (b), (2m), (3m), and (5) of the statutes first applies to persons applying for licenses on the effective date of this subsection.
This act takes effect on the day after publication, except as follows:
(1) The treatment of sections 101.80 (1p) and 101.862 (title), (2), (4) (am), (b), (f), (g), and (n), (5), and (6) of the statutes takes effect on April 1, 2014, or on the day after publication, whichever is later.