- Born Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas, April 1952; married; 2 children, 3 grandchildren.
- Graduate Racine Lutheran High School, 1970; Racine Police Academy; Wisconsin State Patrol Academy Accident Investigation; Northwestern University Traffic Institute-Reconstruction; U.S. Coast Guard National SAR School; attended John F. Kennedy University, California; University of Wisconsin-Extension; University of Wisconsin-Parkside; Green Bay Technical College; Milwaukee Area Technical College; Fox Valley Technical College.
- Full-time legislator. Retired traffic investigator, Racine Police Department; adjunct instructor, Gateway Technical College and Northwestern Traffic Institute; police liaison and security, Racine Unified School District.
- Member: National Rifle Association (life member); Racine County Line Rifle Club (board of directors); Racine Police Credit Union (former president, vice president); Major, Wisconsin Wing, Civil Air Patrol Legislative Squadron (official Auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force).
- Former member: Racine Zoological Society (board of directors); Racine Jaycees; Racine Police Explorers (advisor); Traffic Accident Consultants, Inc. (board of directors); Association of SWAT Personnel; Racine Innovative Youth Service (board); Hostage Negotiation Team, RAPD; Racine Junior Deputy Sheriffs Association; Racine Alateen (advisor); National Association for Search and Rescue (PSAR chair).
- Racine Police and Fire Commission, 2003—13 (chair, vice chair, secretary). Racine County Board, 2002—11.
- Elected to Senate 2010. Reelected since 2014. Leadership positions: Majority Caucus Vice Chair 2015—2017; Majority Caucus Chair 2017, 2019.
Member of Historical Society of Wisconsin Board of Curators, Judicial Council, Midwest Interstate Passenger Rail Commission and State Capitol and Executive Residence Board