101.123(2)(e) (e) No person may smoke in any of the following:
101.123(2)(e)1. 1. A sports arena.
101.123(2)(e)2. 2. A bus shelter.
101.123(2)(e)3. 3. A public conveyance.
101.123(2m) (2m)Responsibility of persons in charge.
101.123(2m)(a)(a) No person in charge may allow any person to smoke in violation of sub. (2) at a location that is under the control or direction of the person in charge.
101.123(2m)(b) (b) A person in charge may not provide matches, ashtrays, or other equipment for smoking at the location where smoking is prohibited.
101.123(2m)(c) (c) A person in charge shall make reasonable efforts to prohibit persons from smoking at a location where smoking is prohibited by doing all of the following:
101.123(2m)(c)1. 1. Posting signs setting forth the prohibition and providing other appropriate notification and information concerning the prohibition.
101.123(2m)(c)2. 2. Refusing to serve a person, if the person is smoking in a restaurant, tavern, or private club.
101.123(2m)(c)3. 3. Asking a person who is smoking to refrain from smoking and, if the person refuses to do so, asking the person to leave the location.
101.123(2m)(d) (d) If a person refuses to leave a location after being requested to do so as provided in par. (c) 3., the person in charge shall immediately notify an appropriate law enforcement agency of the violation.
101.123(2m)(e) (e) A person in charge may take measures in addition to those listed in pars. (b) and (c) to prevent persons from being exposed to others who are smoking or to further ensure compliance with this section.
101.123(3) (3)Exceptions. The prohibition against smoking in sub. (2) (a) does not apply to the following:
101.123(3)(h) (h) A private residence.
101.123(3)(i) (i) A room used by only one person in an assisted living facility as his or her residence.
101.123(3)(j) (j) A room in an assisted living facility in which 2 or more persons reside if every person who lives in that room smokes and each of those persons has made a written request to the person in charge of the assisted living facility to be placed in a room where smoking is allowed.
101.123(3)(L) (L) A retail tobacco store that is in existence on June 3, 2009, and in which only the smoking of cigars and pipes is allowed.
101.123(3)(m) (m) A tobacco bar that is in existence on June 3, 2009, and in which only the smoking of cigars and pipes is allowed.
101.123(4m) (4m)Local authority. This section does not limit the authority of any county, city, village or town to enact ordinances or of any school district to adopt policies that, complying with the purpose of this section, protect the health and comfort of the public. If a county, city, village, or town enacts an ordinance, or if a school district adopts a policy, regulating or prohibiting outside smoking in certain areas as authorized under this subsection, the ordinance may apply only to public property under the jurisdiction of the county, city, village, town, or school district. Such ordinance shall provide that the person in charge of a restaurant, tavern, private club, or retail establishment located in an area subject to the ordinance may designate an outside area that is a reasonable distance from any entrance to the restaurant, tavern, private club, or retail establishment where customers, employees, or persons associated with the restaurant, tavern, private club, or retail establishment may smoke. Such ordinance may not define the term “reasonable distance" or set any specified measured distance as being a “reasonable distance."
101.123(6) (6)Uniform signs. The department shall, by rule, specify uniform dimensions and other characteristics of the signs required under sub. (2m). These rules may not require the use of signs that are more expensive than is necessary to accomplish their purpose.
101.123(7) (7)Signs for state agencies. The department shall arrange with the department of administration to have signs prepared and made available to state agencies for use in state facilities that set forth the prohibition against smoking.
101.123(8) (8)Penalties.
101.123(8)(a) (a) Any person who violates sub. (2) shall be subject to a forfeiture of not less than $100 nor more than $250 for each violation.
101.123(8)(d) (d) Except as provided in par. (dm) or (em), any person in charge who violates sub. (2m) (b) to (d) shall be subject to a forfeiture of $100 for each violation.
101.123(8)(dm) (dm) For violations subject to the forfeiture under par. (d), if the person in charge has not previously received a warning notice for a violation of sub. (2m) (b) to (d), the law enforcement officer shall issue the person in charge a warning notice and may not issue a citation.
101.123(8)(em) (em) No person in charge may be required under par. (d) to forfeit more than $100 in total for all violations of sub. (2m) (b) to (d) occurring on a single day.
101.123(9) (9)Injunction. Notwithstanding s. 165.60, state or local officials or any affected party may institute an action in any court with jurisdiction to enjoin repeated violations of this section.
101.125 101.125 Safety glazing in hazardous locations.
101.125(1)(1)Definitions. In this section:
101.125(1)(a) (a) “Building" means a place of employment or a public building and includes, without limitation because of enumeration, wholesale and retail stores, storerooms, office buildings, factories, warehouses, governmental buildings, hotels, hospitals, motels, dormitories, sanatoriums, nursing homes, retirement homes, theaters, stadiums, gymnasiums, amusement park buildings, schools and other buildings used for educational purposes, places of worship and other places of public assembly and all residences including mobile homes, manufactured homes, industrialized housing, lodging homes, and any other building used as a dwelling for one or more persons.
101.125(1)(b) (b) “Entrance and exit door" means a hinged, pivoting, revolving or sliding door which is used alone or in combination with other such doors on interior or exterior walls of a residential, commercial or public building for passage, ingress or egress.
101.125(1)(c) (c) “Fixed or operating, flat panels immediately adjacent to an entrance or exit door" means the first fixed or operating, flat panel on either or both sides of an interior or exterior door if:
101.125(1)(c)1. 1. The nearest vertical edge of such panel is located within 2 feet of the nearest vertical edge of the door; and
101.125(1)(c)2. 2. The lower horizontal edge of such panel is less than 2 feet from the floor.
101.125(1)(d) (d) “Hazardous location" means the location of a structural element in a building which is used as an entrance and exit door to a compartment, room or building; the fixed or operating, flat panels immediately adjacent to an entrance or exit door; a sliding glass door unit; a storm or combination door; a shower and bathtub enclosure; and the adjacent sidelites of a door. In the case of a public building, the term also includes any other location designated by the department.
101.125(1)(e) (e) “Safety glazing material" means any transparent or translucent material, including tempered glass, laminated glass, wire glass and rigid plastic, which is constructed, treated or combined with other materials to minimize the likelihood of cutting or piercing injuries to humans, and which is approved by rule of the department as meeting departmental standards for the location in which it is to be applied.
101.125(1)(f) (f) “Sliding glass door unit" means a panel or an assembly of panels contained in a frame designed so that at least one panel is movable in a horizontal direction.
101.125(1)(g) (g) “Storm or combination door" means a door which protects an entrance or exit door against weather elements and affects indoor temperature control.
101.125(2m) (2m)Rules. The department shall promulgate rules regulating safety glazing material manufactured, distributed, imported, sold, or installed for use in a hazardous location.
101.125(4) (4)Liability of employers and sellers.
101.125(4)(a)(a) No employee of a person responsible for compliance with the rules promulgated under sub. (2m) is liable for the employer's failure to comply.
101.125(4)(b) (b) No seller of glazing materials is subject to the penalty under sub. (5) or is liable for injuries occurring to any person if the seller has exercised reasonable care to see that the glazing materials sold by him or her are properly used.
101.125(5) (5)Penalty. Whoever violates the rules promulgated under sub. (2m) may be required to forfeit not less than $100 nor more than $500.
101.126 101.126 Recycling space.
101.126(1)(1)The department shall establish, by rule, requirements for a person engaging in any of the following to provide adequate space in or adjacent to the building for the separation, temporary storage and collection of the materials listed in s. 287.07 (3) or (4), likely to be generated by the occupants of the building:
101.126(1)(a) (a) The construction of a public building.
101.126(1)(b) (b) An increase in the size of a public building by 50 percent or more.
101.126(1)(c) (c) An alteration of 50 percent or more of the existing area of a public building that is 10,000 square feet or more in area.
101.126(1m) (1m)In developing the requirements under sub. (1), the department shall consult with the council on recycling.
101.126 History History: 1989 a. 335, 359; 1995 a. 227.
101.126 Cross-reference Cross-reference: See also s. SPS 362.0400, Wis. adm. code.
101.127 101.127 Building requirements for certain residential facilities. The department, after consultation with the department of health services, shall develop a building code for previously constructed buildings converted to use as community-based residential facilities as defined in s. 50.01 (1g) which serve between 9 and 20 residents who are not related to the operator or administrator. In setting standards, the department shall consider the criteria enumerated in ss. 46.03 (25) and 50.02 (3) (b), and in addition shall consider the relationship of the development and enforcement of the code to any relevant codes of the department of health services. The objectives of the code shall be to guarantee health and safety and to maintain insofar as possible a homelike environment. Notwithstanding s. 101.121, a historic building as defined in s. 101.121 (2) (am) which is converted to use as a community-based residential facility serving between 9 and 20 residents who are not related to the operator or administrator is governed only by the building code promulgated under this section.
101.127 History History: 1975 c. 413; 1975 c. 422 s. 163; Stats. 1975 s. 101.125; Stats. 1975 s. 101.127; 1981 c. 341; 1987 a. 161 s. 13m; 1995 a. 27 s. 9126 (19); 1997 a. 237; 2007 a. 20 s. 9121 (6) (a); 2007 a. 144.
101.127 Cross-reference Cross-reference: See also s. SPS 362.0400 (4), Wis. adm. code.
101.128 101.128 Restroom equity.
101.128(1)(1)Definitions. In this section:
101.128(1)(a) (a) “Amusement facility" means any zoo, state or local park, amusement or theme park, state fair park, county or other local fairgrounds, or any similar facility, as determined by department rule.
101.128(1)(b) (b) “Facility where the public congregates" means any of the following that has a general capacity or a seating capacity of 500 or more persons:
101.128(1)(b)1. 1. An amusement facility.
101.128(1)(b)2. 2. A convention or trade hall or center.
101.128(1)(b)3. 3. A specialty event center.
101.128(1)(b)4. 4. A sports or entertainment arena, center or building.
101.128(1)(b)5. 5. A stadium.
101.128(1)(b)6. 6. An airport, bus terminal, train station or other transportation center.
101.128(1)(c) (c) “Hotel" has the meaning given in s. 97.01 (7).
101.128(1)(d) (d) “Renovation" means any structural remodeling, improvement or alteration of an existing facility where the public congregates. “Renovation" does not include any of the following:
101.128(1)(d)1. 1. Reroofing.
101.128(1)(d)2. 2. Cosmetic remodeling, including painting or the installation of wall covering, of paneling, of floor covering or of suspended ceilings.
101.128(1)(d)3. 3. An alteration to an electrical or mechanical system.
101.128(1)(e) (e) “Restaurant" has the meaning given in s. 97.01 (14g).
101.128(1)(f) (f) “School" means a public or private elementary or secondary school.
101.128(1)(g) (g) “Specialty event center" means an open arena used for rallies, concerts, exhibits or other assemblies, with no permanent structure for such assembly.
101.128(2) (2)Restroom requirements.
101.128(2)(a) (a) Equal speed of access required. The owner of a facility where the public congregates shall equip and maintain the restrooms in the facility where the public congregates with a sufficient number of permanent or temporary toilets to ensure that women have a speed of access to toilets in the facility where the public congregates that equals the speed of access that men have to toilets and urinals in that facility where the public congregates when the facility where the public congregates is used to its maximum capacity.
101.128(2)(b) (b) Standards. The department shall promulgate rules that establish standards that the owner of a facility where the public congregates shall meet to achieve the equal speed of access required under par. (a).
101.128(3) (3)Exemptions.
101.128(3)(a) (a) Exemptions established. This section does not apply to any of the following:
101.128(3)(a)1. 1. A hotel.
101.128(3)(a)2. 2. A restaurant.
101.128(3)(a)3. 3. A school.
101.128(3)(b) (b) Mixed-use facilities. If a facility where the public congregates contains a hotel, restaurant or school, the requirements of this section shall apply only to the portion of the facility where the public congregates that is not part of the hotel, restaurant or school.
101.128(4) (4)Applicability.
101.128(4)(a) (a) Six months after rules promulgated. This section applies to any facility where the public congregates at which the following events begin on or after the first day of the 7th month beginning after the department promulgates rules under this section:
101.128(4)(a)1. 1. If the facility is a new structural facility, initial construction of any structure.
101.128(4)(a)2. 2. If the facility is a new facility that will contain no permanent structure to serve the public, other than structures to house restrooms or other minor structures, the establishment of the facility.
101.128(4)(a)3. 3. If the facility is an existing structural facility, renovations that affect more than 50 percent of the facility's square footage.
2021-22 Wisconsin Statutes updated through 2023 Wis. Act 210 and through all Supreme Court and Controlled Substances Board Orders filed before and in effect on May 17, 2024. Published and certified under s. 35.18. Changes effective after May 17, 2024, are designated by NOTES. (Published 5-17-24)