301.26(4)(dt) (dt) Except as provided in pars. (e) to (g), for serious juvenile offender services, all uniform fee collections under s. 301.03 (18) shall be credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.410 (3) (hm).
301.26(4)(e) (e) For alternate care services for delinquent juveniles under ss. 49.19 (10) (d), 938.48 (4) and (14), and 938.52 all payments and deductions made under this subsection and uniform fee collections under s. 301.03 (18) shall be credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.410 (3) (ho).
301.26(4)(ed) (ed) For alternate care services for serious juvenile offenders under ss. 49.19 (10) (d), 938.48 (4) and (14), and 938.52 all uniform fee collections under s. 301.03 (18) shall be credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.410 (3) (ho).
301.26(4)(eg) (eg) For community supervision services under s. 938.533 (2), all payments and deductions made under this subsection and uniform fee collections under s. 301.03 (18) shall be credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.410 (3) (hr).
301.26(4)(f) (f) For services under s. 51.35 (3), payments made under par. (d) for services to juveniles who are ineligible for medical assistance under subch. IV of ch. 49 and uniform fee collections under s. 46.03 (18) shall be deposited in the appropriation under s. 20.435 (2) (gk) and all other payments made under this subsection shall be deposited in the general fund and treated as a nonappropriated receipt.
301.26(4)(g) (g) For juvenile institutional services under ch. 938 and for the office of juvenile offender review, all payments and deductions made under this subsection and uniform fee collections under s. 301.03 (18) shall be credited to the appropriation account under s. 20.410 (3) (hm).
301.27 301.27 Meal and other charges; vending stands; commissary; and butter and cheese.
301.27(1)(1)Charges. In compliance with the compensation plan established under s. 230.12 (3), the department may make and determine charges for meals, living quarters, laundry, and other services furnished to employees of the state correctional institutions and members of the employee's family maintained as such. All moneys received from each person on account of these services shall be used for operation of the institutions under s. 20.410 (1) (a) and (3) (a) and (hm). If a chaplain employed in any institution administered by the department is not furnished a residence by the state, $1,800 or 20 percent of the chaplain's salary, whichever is greater, is designated as his or her housing allowance.
301.27(2) (2) Vending stands. The department shall establish and maintain a revolving fund not exceeding $100,000 in any of the state institutions administered by the department, for the education, recreation and convenience of the patients, inmates and employees, to be used for the operation of vending stands, canteen operations, reading clubs, musical organizations, religious programs, athletics and similar projects. The funds are exempt from s. 20.906, but are subject to audit by the department and the legislative audit bureau in its discretion.
301.27(3) (3) Commissary. With the approval of the governor and the director of personnel, the department, by rule, may provide employees in its institutions with laundry, food, housing and necessary furnishings.
301.27(4) (4) Butter and cheese. No butter or cheese not made wholly and directly from pure milk or cream, salt and harmless coloring matter may be used in any of the institutions of the department, except for the institution authorized under s. 301.046 (1) or a Type 2 prison.
301.27 History History: 1989 a. 31; 1991 a. 39; 1995 a. 27; 1999 a. 9; 2013 a. 20.
301.28 301.28 Training of correctional officers.
301.28(1)(1)In this section, “correctional officer" means any person classified as a correctional officer employed by the state whose principal duty is the supervision of inmates at a prison, as defined in s. 302.01.
301.28(2) (2)
301.28(2)(a)(a) Correctional officers serving under permanent appointment prior to July 31, 1981 are not required to meet any requirement under par. (b) as a condition of continued employment. Failure of any such correctional officer to fulfill those requirements does not make that person ineligible for any promotional examination for which he or she is otherwise eligible. Those correctional officers may voluntarily participate in this program.
301.28(2)(b) (b) No person may be permanently appointed as a correctional officer unless the person has satisfactorily completed a preservice training program approved by the department.
301.28 History History: 1981 c. 20; 1989 a. 31 s. 970; Stats. 1989 s. 301.28; 1993 a. 377; 1995 a. 27.
301.285 301.285 In-service and work experience training. The department may conduct a program of in-service training and staff development and, in cooperation with educational institutions, provide facilities for work experience for students, including subsistence.
301.285 History History: 1989 a. 31.
301.286 301.286 State identification upon release from prison. Before an individual is released from prison upon completion of his or her sentence or to parole or extended supervision, the department shall determine if the individual has an operator's license or a state identification card under ch. 343. If the individual has neither, the department shall assist the individual in applying for a state identification card under s. 343.50. The department shall determine if the individual is able to pay all or a portion of the fee under s. 343.50 (5) from the individual's general fund account. The department shall pay any portion of the fee the individual is unable to pay from the individual's general fund account.
301.286 History History: 2007 a. 20.
301.287 301.287 Correctional officer overtime. The department shall maintain a central monitoring system to record the amount of overtime worked by correctional officers.
301.287 History History: 1991 a. 39.
301.29 301.29 Bonds of employees; police powers; investigation of complaints.
301.29(2)(2)The superintendents of all the state correctional institutions, and the employees under them to whom they delegate police power, may arrest any person within or upon the grounds of the institutions whom they have reason to believe guilty of any offense against the laws or regulations governing the institutions; and for that purpose they shall possess the powers of constables.
301.29(3) (3)The department shall investigate complaints against any institution under its jurisdiction or against the officers or employees of the institutions. For that purpose, the secretary and such officers and employees as the secretary authorizes may summon and swear witnesses, take testimony and compel the production of books and papers. On its own initiative, the department may investigate the affairs of any institution. Any written communication or complaint addressed to the secretary by any inmate, employee or subordinate of an institution shall be immediately forwarded unopened to the addressee.
301.29 History History: 1989 a. 31; 1997 a. 289.
301.30 301.30 Inmate wages, allowances and release payments. The department may pay a wage or an allowance and a release payment to inmates at its institutions. The department shall prescribe the amounts of pay and such hours, health and other conditions in connection with employment as are reasonable.
301.30 History History: 1989 a. 31.
301.31 301.31 Wages to prisoners. The department may provide for assistance of prisoners on their discharge; for the support of their families while the prisoners are in confinement; or for the payment, either in full or ratably, of their obligations acknowledged by them in writing or which have been reduced to judgment by the allowance of moderate wages, to be paid from the operation, maintenance, farm and construction appropriations of the institution in which they are confined. Until the prisoner's final discharge, the funds arising from the wages shall be under the control of the officer in charge of the institution and shall be used for the benefit of the prisoner, the prisoner's family and other obligations specified in this section. Earnings by inmates working in the prison industries and the retention and distribution thereof shall be governed by ss. 303.01 (4) and (8) and 303.06 (2).
301.31 History History: 1989 a. 31; 1991 a. 269.
301.31 Annotation This section does not state that the Department of Corrections can set a percentage for payments of a prisoner's obligation that conflicts with a sentencing court's order. State ex rel. Ortiz v. Carr, 2022 WI App 16, 401 Wis. 2d 450, 973 N.W.2d 786, 20-1394.
301.315 301.315 Corrections programs report. The department shall report to the joint committee on finance with a proposal to address negative cash balances associated with closed industries or other corrections programs through the use of moneys appropriated under s. 20.410 as of the date of the proposal.
301.315 History History: 1989 a. 31.
301.32 301.32 Property of prisoners, residents and probationers.
301.32(1)(1)Property delivered to warden or superintendent; credit and debit. All money and other property delivered to an employee of any state correctional institution for the benefit of a prisoner or resident shall be delivered to the warden or superintendent, who shall enter the property upon his or her accounts to the credit of the prisoner or resident. The property may be used only under the direction and with the approval of the superintendent or warden and for the crime victim and witness assistance surcharge under s. 973.045 (4), the delinquency victim and witness assistance surcharge under s. 938.34 (8d) (c), the deoxyribonucleic acid analysis surcharge under s. 973.046 (1r), the child pornography surcharge under s. 973.042, the drug offender diversion surcharge under s. 973.043, victim restitution under s. 973.20 (11) (c), or the benefit of the prisoner or resident. If the money remains uncalled for for one year after the prisoner's or resident's death or departure from the state correctional institution, the superintendent shall deposit it in the general fund. If any prisoner or resident leaves property, other than money, uncalled for at a state correctional institution for one year, the superintendent shall sell the property and deposit the proceeds in the general fund, donate the property to a public agency or private, nonprofit organization or destroy the property. If any person satisfies the department, within 5 years after the deposit, of his or her right to the deposit, the department shall direct the department of administration to draw its warrant in favor of the claimant and it shall charge the same to the appropriation made by s. 20.913 (3) (bm).
301.32(2) (2) Central reception unit; exception. Notwithstanding sub. (1) and s. 302.13, an inmate account need not be opened or maintained for an inmate placed at the central reception unit at the Dodge Correctional Institution.
301.32(3) (3) Property delivered to employee. All money or other property paid or delivered to a probation, extended supervision and parole agent or other employee of the department by or for the benefit of any person on probation, extended supervision or parole shall be immediately transmitted to the department and it shall enter the same upon its books to his or her credit. The property shall be used only under the direction of the department.
301.32 Cross-reference Cross-reference: See also ch. DOC 309, Wis. adm. code.
301.32 Annotation Sub. (1) and s. 973.20 (11) (c) codify common law by specifically authorizing the Department of Corrections to take restitution from an inmate's account at an amount or a percentage the department determines is reasonable for payment to victims. State v. Williams, 2018 WI App 20, 380 Wis. 2d 440, 909 N.W.2d 177, 17-0320.
301.32 Annotation The Department of Corrections was authorized under sub. (1) to take money delivered to the defendant's prison account to satisfy unpaid restitution ordered in a judgment that imposed a sentence that the defendant had completed because using that money to pay restitution was for the defendant's benefit within the meaning of sub. (1), regardless of whether the restitution ordered in the judgment was directly enforceable against the defendant. State ex rel. Markovic v. Litscher, 2018 WI App 44, 383 Wis. 2d 576, 916 N.W.2d 202, 17-2206.
301.32 Annotation Former sub. (1), 2009 stats., does not grant exclusive authority to the Department of Corrections to set the percentage at which money is deducted from a prisoner's wages to pay a restitution obligation and does not bar the sentencing court from setting that percentage in its restitution order. State ex rel. Ortiz v. Carr, 2022 WI App 16, 401 Wis. 2d 450, 973 N.W.2d 786, 20-1394.
301.32 Annotation This section does not create a property interest in items prohibited by administrative rule because these items have not been delivered to prison employees for the benefit of inmates. Prohibited items are contraband subject to seizure. Escobar v. Landwehr, 837 F. Supp. 284 (1993).
301.323 301.323 Vendors of personal property items.
301.323(1)(1)The department shall permit an inmate in a state correctional institution, or a 3rd party on behalf of an inmate, to purchase department-approved hobby, religious, and other personal property items from a vendor that is contracted with under sub. (2). The department shall ensure that inmates have equal access to the approved items offered by each vendor, and the department may not give any preference to any contracted vendor.
301.323(2) (2)Through a competitive bid for contractual services under s. 16.75, the department shall contract with not fewer than 3 vendors to provide department-approved hobby, religious, and other personal property items for purchase by an inmate in a state correctional institution or by a 3rd party on behalf of an inmate. The department may contract with 2 vendors if it receives fewer than 3 bids satisfying the bid criteria. All contract specifications for contracts awarded under this subsection, including those specified in sub. (3), shall be included in a single solicitation for bids.
301.323(3) (3)Each vendor that is contracted with under sub. (2) shall allow for an inmate, or a 3rd party on behalf of an inmate, to purchase the approved items from a catalog and through an online Internet site.
301.323(4) (4)The department shall ensure that each vendor that receives a contract under sub. (2) offers substantially all of the types of items that are approved by the department.
301.323 History History: 2021 a. 264.
301.325 301.325 Prisoner reimbursement to the state. The department may charge a prisoner or a prisoner's estate for some or all of the costs to the department of the prisoner's incarceration or burial or cremation and burial under s. 157.02 (5). The department may collect from the inmate or his or her estate during his or her incarceration or after his or her release or death, or both. If the prisoner has paid all victim restitution ordered under s. 973.20 or if the department has collected victim restitution pursuant to s. 973.20 (11) (f), the department may use any remaining money held for a prisoner under s. 301.32 (1) to pay for some or all of the costs to the department for the prisoner's burial or cremation and burial under s. 157.02 (5). Upon the request of the department, the attorney general may bring a civil action to recover costs under this section that the department has been unable to collect. The department may not recover under this section for any costs already recovered as otherwise provided in chs. 301 to 303. The department shall promulgate rules providing a method of charging under this section that is based on a prisoner's ability to pay and providing procedures for collection of the costs.
301.325 History History: 1995 a. 27; 2017 a. 246.
301.328 301.328 Judgment for litigation loans to prisoners.
301.328(1)(1)In this section, “litigation loan" means a loan made to a prisoner by the department to pay for paper, photocopying, postage or other expenses associated with litigation commenced by the prisoner.
301.328(1m) (1m)No prisoner may receive more than $100 annually in litigation loans, except that any amount of the debt the prisoner repays during the year may be advanced to the prisoner again without counting against the $100 litigation loan limit. No prisoner may receive a litigation loan in any amount until he or she has repaid a prior loan in full or has made arrangements for repayment.
301.328(2) (2)If a prisoner fails to repay a litigation loan to the department, the warden of the institution where the prisoner is incarcerated, imprisoned, confined or detained may submit a certification under oath to the clerk of circuit court in the county where the institution is located. The certification shall state the amount of litigation loans unpaid, the name and location of the prisoner and such other information as the court considers necessary. The court shall order that the amount certified by the warden be a judgment on behalf of the state and against the prisoner if the prisoner fails to submit a written objection to the court within 20 days after the court receives the certification from the warden. If the prisoner timely submits a written objection to the certification, the court shall consider the objection to be a complaint in a civil action and proceed under the rules of procedure under ch. 799, without requiring the service of a summons or the payment of filing fees.
301.328(3) (3)At the same time that the warden submits the certification to the court, the warden shall provide the prisoner with a copy of the certification. The warden shall attach to the certification provided to the prisoner a notice informing the prisoner of all of the following:
301.328(3)(a) (a) That if the prisoner fails to submit a written objection to the court within 20 days after the court receives the certification from the warden, the court shall order that the amount certified by the warden be a judgment on behalf of the state and against the prisoner.
301.328(3)(b) (b) The name and address of the circuit court where the certification was submitted.
301.328(3)(c) (c) That if the prisoner timely objects to the certification, the objection will be considered a complaint for purposes of the commencement of a civil suit under ch. 799.
301.328(3)(d) (d) That the prisoner is required to submit a copy of the objection to the warden at the time he or she submits the objection to the clerk of circuit court.
301.328 History History: 1997 a. 133; 2011 a. 32.
301.33 301.33 Freedom of worship; religious ministration.
301.33(1)(1)Subject to reasonable exercise of the privilege, members of the clergy of all religious faiths shall have an opportunity, at least once each week, to conduct religious services within the state correctional institutions. Attendance at the services is voluntary.
301.33(2) (2)Every inmate shall receive, upon request, religious ministration and sacraments according to the inmate's faith.
301.33(3) (3)Every inmate who requests it shall have the use of the Bible.
301.33 History History: 1989 a. 31.
301.33 Annotation The state must make copies of the Quran available to prisoners to the same extent that Bibles are made available. Pitts v. Knowles, 339 F. Supp. 1183 (1972).
301.335 301.335 Treatment records. Section 51.30 applies to treatment records, as defined in s. 51.30 (1) (b), maintained by the department of corrections in regard to children adjudged delinquent. The department has the same authority, including rule-making authority, with regard to treatment records maintained by the department that is granted to the department of health services under s. 51.30.
301.335 History History: 1989 a. 31; 1995 a. 27 s. 9126 (19); 2007 a. 20 s. 9121 (6) (a).
301.35 301.35 Law enforcement officer access to department records.
301.35(1)(1)In this section:
301.35(1)(a) (a) “Law enforcement officer" has the meaning given in s. 165.85 (2) (c).
301.35(1)(b) (b) “Record" has the meaning given in s. 19.32 (2).
301.35(2) (2)The department shall allow a law enforcement officer access to a departmental record if the record pertains to any of the following persons who resides or is planning to reside in the officer's territorial jurisdiction:
301.35(2)(a) (a) A probationer.
301.35(2)(b) (b) A parolee.
301.35(2)(bm) (bm) A person on extended supervision.
301.35(2)(c) (c) A prisoner confined under s. 301.046.
301.35(2)(d) (d) A participant in the intensive sanctions program under s. 301.048.
301.35(2)(e) (e) A participant in the serious juvenile offender program under s. 938.538.
301.35 History History: 1993 a. 98; 1995 a. 77; 1997 a. 283.
301.36 301.36 General supervision and inspection by department.
301.36(1)(1)General authority. The department shall investigate and supervise all of the state prisons under s. 302.01, all juvenile correctional facilities, all secured residential care centers for children and youth, and all juvenile detention facilities and familiarize itself with all of the circumstances affecting their management and usefulness.
301.36(2) (2) Prisons. The department shall visit all places in which persons convicted or suspected of crime are confined, and ascertain their arrangement for the separation of the hardened criminals from juvenile offenders and persons suspected of crime or detained as witnesses; collect statistics concerning the inmates, their treatment, employment and reformation; and collect information of other facts and considerations affecting the increase or decrease of crime.
301.36(3) (3) Inspections. The department shall inquire into the methods of treatment, instruction, government and management of inmates of the institutions mentioned in this section; the conduct of their trustees, managers, directors, superintendents and other officers and employees; the condition of the buildings, grounds and all other property pertaining to the institutions, and all other matters pertaining to their usefulness and management; and recommend to the officers in charge such changes and additional provisions as it deems proper.
301.36(4) (4) Frequency of inspections. The department shall inspect and investigate each institution at least annually and, when directed by the governor, it shall conduct a special investigation into an institution's management, or anything connected with its management, and report to the governor the testimony taken, the facts found and conclusions drawn.
2021-22 Wisconsin Statutes updated through 2023 Wis. Act 71 and through all Supreme Court and Controlled Substances Board Orders filed before and in effect on February 14, 2024. Published and certified under s. 35.18. Changes effective after February 14, 2024, are designated by NOTES. (Published 2-14-24)