54.62(8) (8)Accounts; failure of a guardian to file. If a guardian fails to file the guardian's account as required by law or ordered by the court, the court may, upon its own motion or upon the petition of any interested party, order the guardian to show cause why the guardian should not immediately make and file the guardian's reports or accounts. The court shall direct that a copy of the order be served on the guardian at least 20 days before the date that the court has ordered the guardian to appear in court. If a guardian fails, neglects or refuses to make and file any report or account after having been cited by the court to do so, or if the guardian fails to appear in court as directed by a citation issued by the court, the court may, on its own motion or on the petition of any interested party, issue a warrant directed to the sheriff ordering that the guardian be brought before the court to show cause why the guardian should not be punished for contempt. If the court finds that the failure, refusal, or neglect is willful or inexcusable, the guardian may be fined not to exceed $250 or imprisoned not to exceed 10 days or both.
54.62(9) (9)Accounting by guardians at any time. The court may at any time require an accounting by any guardian at a hearing, after providing notice to all interested persons, including sureties on the bond of a guardian.
54.62 History History: 2005 a. 387 ss. 100, 426, 428, 429, 431, 432, 434, 435; 2007 a. 45.
54.625 54.625 Transfer of guardianship funds of a Menominee. The court that has appointed a guardian of the estate of any minor or individual found incompetent who is a legally enrolled member of the Menominee Indian tribe, as defined in s. 49.385, or a lawful distributee, as defined in s. 54.850 (3), of the member may direct the guardian to transfer the assets in the guardian's possession of the minor or individual found incompetent to the trustees of the trust created by the secretary of interior or his or her delegate that receives property of the minors or individuals found incompetent that is transferred from the United States or any agency thereof as provided by P.L. 83-399, as amended, and the assets shall thereafter be held, administered, and distributed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the trust.
54.625 History History: 1971 c. 41 s. 8; Stats. 1971 s. 880.195; 1977 c. 449; 1995 a. 27; 2005 a. 387 s. 408; Stats. 2005 s. 54.625.
54.63 54.63 Expansion of order of guardianship; procedure.
54.63(1)(1)If the guardian or another interested person submits to the court a written statement with relevant accompanying support requesting the removal of rights from the ward and transfer to the guardian of powers in addition to those specified in the order of appointment of the guardian, based on an expansion of the ward's incapacity, the court shall do all of the following:
54.63(1)(a) (a) Appoint a guardian ad litem for the ward.
54.63(1)(b) (b) Order that notice, including notice concerning potential court action if circumstances are extraordinary, be given to all of the following:
54.63(1)(b)1. 1. The county department of social services or human services if the ward is protectively placed or receives long-term support services as a public benefit.
54.63(1)(b)2. 2. The ward.
54.63(1)(b)3. 3. The guardian.
54.63(1)(b)4. 4. The agent under the ward's power of attorney for health care under ch. 155, if any, and the agent under the ward's durable power of attorney under ch. 244, if any.
54.63(1)(b)5. 5. Any other persons determined by the court.
54.63(2) (2)
54.63(2)(a)(a) If, after 10 days after notice is provided under sub. (1) (b), or earlier if the court determines that the circumstances are extraordinary, no person submits to the court an objection to the request under sub. (1), the court may amend the order entered under s. 54.46 (2) and enter a determination and the amended order that specifies any change in the powers of the guardian.
54.63(2)(b) (b) If, within 10 days after notice is provided under sub. (1) (b), a person submits to the court an objection to the request under sub. (1), the court shall hold a hearing, unless the objector declines a hearing, under the procedure specified in s. 54.64 (2).
54.63 History History: 2005 a. 387; 2009 a. 319.
54.64 54.64 Review of incompetency and termination of guardianship.
54.64(1)(1)Duration. Any guardianship of an individual found to be incompetent under this chapter shall continue during the life of the ward, until terminated by the court, or as provided under sub. (3) or (4).
54.64(2) (2)Review and modification.
54.64(2)(a) (a) A ward who is 18 years of age or older, any person acting on the ward's behalf, or the ward's guardian may petition for a review of incompetency, to have the guardian discharged and a new guardian appointed, or to have the guardianship limited and specific rights restored. The petition may be filed at any time after 180 days after any previous hearing under s. 54.44, or at any time if the court determines that exigent circumstances, including presentation of new evidence, require a review. If a petition is filed, the court shall do all of the following:
54.64(2)(a)1. 1. Appoint a guardian ad litem.
54.64(2)(a)2. 2. Fix a time and place for hearing.
54.64(2)(a)3. 3. Designate the persons who are entitled to notice of the hearing and designate the manner in which the notice shall be given.
54.64(2)(a)4. 4. Conduct a hearing at which the ward is present and has the right to a jury trial, if demanded.
54.64(2)(b) (b) The ward has the right to counsel for purposes of the hearing under par. (a). Notwithstanding any finding of incompetence for the ward, the ward may retain and contract for the payment of reasonable fees to an attorney, the selection of whom is subject to court approval, in connection with proceedings involving review of the terms and conditions of the guardianship, including the question of incompetence. The court shall appoint counsel if the ward is unable to obtain counsel. If the ward is indigent, the county of jurisdiction for the guardianship shall provide counsel at the county's expense.
54.64(2)(c) (c) After a hearing under par. (a) or on its own motion, a court may terminate or modify the guardianship, including restoring certain of the ward's rights.
54.64(2)(d) (d) The court shall review and may terminate the guardianship of the person of an individual found incompetent upon marriage to any person who is not subject to a guardianship.
54.64(3) (3)Termination of guardianship of the person. A guardianship of the person shall terminate if any of the following occurs:
54.64(3)(a) (a) The court adjudicates a ward who was formerly found to be incompetent to be no longer incompetent or terminates the guardianship under sub. (2) (d).
54.64(3)(b) (b) The ward changes residence from this state to another state and a guardian is appointed in the new state of residence.
54.64(3)(c) (c) A formerly minor ward attains age 18, unless the guardianship was ordered on the grounds of incompetency.
54.64(3)(d) (d) A minor ward whose guardianship was not ordered on the grounds of incompetency marries.
54.64(3)(e) (e) The ward dies.
54.64(4) (4)Termination of guardianship of the estate. A guardianship of the estate shall terminate if any of the following occurs:
54.64(4)(a) (a) The court adjudicates a ward who was formerly found to be incompetent to be no longer incompetent or a ward who was formerly found to be a spendthrift to be capable of handling his or her income and assets.
54.64(4)(b) (b) The ward changes residence from this state to another state and a guardian is appointed in the new state of residence.
54.64(4)(c) (c) A formerly minor ward attains age 18.
54.64(4)(d) (d) A minor ward whose guardianship was not ordered on the grounds of incompetency marries and the court approves the termination.
54.64(4)(e) (e) A ward dies, except when the estate can be settled as provided by s. 54.66 (4).
54.64(5) (5)Depleted guardianship. If a court determines that the income and assets of a ward do not exceed the amount specified in s. 867.03 (1g) and are reduced to a point where it is to the advantage of the ward to dispense with the guardianship, the court may do one of the following:
54.64(5)(a) (a) Terminate the guardianship and order disposition of the remaining assets as provided by s. 54.12 (1). The court, as a part of the disposition, may order the guardian to make appropriate financial arrangements for the burial or other disposition of the remains of the ward.
54.64(5)(b) (b) Continue the guardianship, but waive requirements for a bond for the guardian and waive or require an accounting by the guardian.
54.64(6) (6)Delivery of property to guardian in another state. When property of a nonresident ward is in the possession of or due from a guardian or personal representative appointed in this state, the appointing court may order the property delivered to the guardian appointed in the state of the nonresident ward after a verified petition, accompanied by a copy of the nonresident guardian's appointment and bond, authenticated so as to be admissible in evidence, is filed with the court and after 10 days' notice is provided to the resident guardian or personal representative. The petition shall be denied if granting it appears to be against the interests of the ward. Any receipt obtained from the nonresident guardian for the property so delivered shall be taken and filed with the other papers in the proceeding, and a certified copy of the receipt shall be sent to the court that appointed the nonresident guardian.
54.64 History History: 2005 a. 387 ss. 100, 437 to 446, 449, 499, 500, 501, 503, 504; 2007 a. 45.
54.66 54.66 Final accounts.
54.66(1)(1)Render final account. If a court terminates a guardianship, or a guardian resigns, is removed, or dies, the guardian or the guardian's personal representative or special administrator shall promptly render a final account to the court and to the ward or former ward, the successor guardian, or the deceased ward's personal representative or special administrator, as appropriate. If the ward dies and the guardian and the deceased ward's personal representative or special administrator are the same person, the deceased ward's personal representative or special administrator shall give notice of the termination and rendering of the final account to all interested persons of the ward's estate.
54.66(2) (2)Small estates. The guardian of a ward with a small estate, as specified in s. 54.62 (3) (a), need not file a final account, unless otherwise ordered by the court. The guardian shall instead provide the court with a list of the ward's assets that remain at the time the guardianship terminates, including at the death of the ward.
54.66(3) (3)Discharge. After approving the final account and after the guardian has filed proper receipts, the court shall discharge the guardian and release the guardian's bond.
54.66(4) (4)Summary settlement of small estates. If a ward dies leaving an estate that can be settled summarily under s. 867.01, the court may approve the settlement and distribution by the guardian under the procedures of s. 867.01 without appointing a personal representative.
54.66 History History: 2005 a. 387 ss. 100, 430, 447, 448.
54.68 54.68 Review of conduct of guardian.
54.68(1)(1)Continuing jurisdiction of court. The court that appointed the guardian or that granted a petition for acceptance and receipt of a foreign guardianship has continuing jurisdiction over the guardian. Within a reasonable period of time after granting a petition for receipt and acceptance of a foreign guardianship under s. 54.46 (1r), the court shall review the provisions of the guardianship and, as part of its review, shall inform the guardian and ward of services that may be available to the ward.
54.68(2) (2)Cause for court action against a guardian. Any of the following, if committed by a guardian with respect to a ward or the ward's income or assets, constitutes cause for a remedy of the court under sub. (4):
54.68(2)(a) (a) Failing to file timely an inventory or account, as required under this chapter, that is accurate and complete.
54.68(2)(b) (b) Committing fraud, waste, or mismanagement.
54.68(2)(c) (c) Abusing or neglecting the ward or knowingly permitting others to do so.
54.68(2)(cm) (cm) Knowingly isolating a ward from the ward's family members or violating a court order under s. 50.085 (2).
54.68(2)(d) (d) Engaging in self-dealing.
54.68(2)(e) (e) Failing to provide adequately for the personal needs of the ward from the ward's available assets and income, including any available public benefits.
54.68(2)(f) (f) Failing to exercise due diligence and reasonable care in assuring that the ward's personal needs are being met in the least restrictive environment consistent with the ward's needs and incapacities.
54.68(2)(g) (g) Failing to act in the best interests of the ward.
54.68(2)(h) (h) Failing to disclose conviction for a crime that would have prevented appointment of the person as guardian.
54.68(2)(i) (i) Failing to disclose that the guardian is listed under s. 146.40 (4g) (a) 2.
54.68(2)(j) (j) Other than as provided in pars. (a) to (i), failing to perform any duties of a guardian or performing acts prohibited to a guardian as specified in ss. 54.18, 54.19, 54.20, 54.22, 54.25, and 54.62.
54.68(3) (3)Procedure. Upon the filing of a petition for review of the conduct of a guardian, the court shall hold a hearing in not less than 10, nor more than 60, days and shall order that the petitioner provide notice of the hearing to the ward, the guardian, and any other persons as determined by the court. The court may authorize use by the petitioner of any of the methods of discovery specified in ch. 804 in support of the petition to review conduct of the guardian.
54.68(4) (4)Remedies of the court. If petitioned by any party or on the court's own motion and after finding cause as specified in sub. (2), a court may do any of the following:
54.68(4)(a) (a) Order the guardian to file an inventory or other report or account required of the guardian.
54.68(4)(b) (b) Require the guardian to reimburse the ward or, if deceased, the ward's estate for losses incurred as the result of the guardian's breach of a duty to the ward.
54.68(4)(c) (c) Impose a forfeiture of up to $10,000 on the guardian, or deny compensation for the guardian or both.
54.68(4)(d) (d) Remove the guardian.
54.68(4)(e) (e) Enter any other order that may be necessary or appropriate to compel the guardian to act in the best interests of the ward or to otherwise carry out the guardian's duties.
54.68(5) (5)Removal of paid guardian. The court may remove a paid guardian if changed circumstances indicate that a previously unavailable volunteer guardian is available to serve and that the change would be in the best interests of the ward.
54.68(6) (6)Fees and costs in proceedings. In any proceeding under sub. (2) or (5), all of the following apply:
54.68(6)(a) (a) The court may require the guardian to pay personally any costs of the proceeding, including costs of service and attorney fees.
54.68(6)(b) (b) Notwithstanding a finding of incompetence, a ward who is petitioning the court under sub. (2) may retain legal counsel, the selection of whom is subject to court approval, and contract for the payment of fees, regardless of whether or not the guardian consents or whether or not the court finds cause under sub. (2).
54.68 History History: 2005 a. 387; 2015 a. 343.
54.72 54.72 Guardian compensation and reimbursement. A guardian of the person or a guardian of the estate is entitled to compensation and to reimbursement for expenses as follows:
54.72(1) (1)Compensation.
54.72(1)(a) (a) Subject to the court's approval, as determined under par. (b), a guardian shall receive reasonable compensation for the guardian's services.
54.72(1)(b) (b) The court shall use all of the following factors in deciding whether compensation for a guardian is just and reasonable:
54.72(1)(b)1. 1. The reasonableness of the services rendered.
54.72(1)(b)2. 2. The fair market value of the services rendered.
54.72(1)(b)3. 3. Any conflict of interest of the guardian.
54.72(1)(b)4. 4. The availability of another to provide the services.
54.72(1)(b)5. 5. The value and nature of the ward's assets and income, including the sources of the ward's income.
54.72(1)(b)6. 6. Whether the ward's basic needs are being met.
54.72(1)(b)7. 7. The hourly or other rate proposed by the guardian for the services.
2021-22 Wisconsin Statutes updated through 2023 Wis. Act 272 and through all Supreme Court and Controlled Substances Board Orders filed before and in effect on June 19, 2024. Published and certified under s. 35.18. Changes effective after June 19, 2024, are designated by NOTES. (Published 6-19-24)