- Born Madison, Wisconsin, February 13, 1950; married; 2 children, 5 grandchildren, 2 great-grandchildren.
- Graduate Evansville High School, 1968; Associate Degree Madison Area Technical College, 1985.
- Full-time legislator. Former accountant for small businesses, executive director of nonprofit.
- Member: Evansville Chamber of Commerce; VFW Auxiliary Post 6905 (former president); Evansville Energy Independence Team.
- Former member: Stoughton Hospital Board (chair); Creekside Place, Inc. (board of directors); Evansville Community Partnership (secretary).
- Evansville City Council, 1998–2002, 2008–10. Mayor of Evansville, 2002–06.
- Elected to Assembly 2010–12. Elected to Senate since 2014. Leadership positions: Minority Caucus Vice Chair 2017; Minority Caucus Secretary 2013.