- Born Painesville, Ohio, November 10, 1951; married; 5 children, 4 grandchildren.
- Graduate James Ford Rhodes High School (Cleveland, Ohio), 1969; B.A. Case Western Reserve University, 1973; M. Ed. University of Maine, 1977.
- Full-time legislator. Former Community Relations Officer, Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority; former Dean of Students, Northland College; former executive director, Mary H. Rice Foundation.
- One of the original cast members at Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua and current member of the Rittenhouse Chamber Singers.
- Ashland City Council, 2007–09.
- Elected to Assembly 2010–12. Elected to Senate 2014. Leadership positions: assistant minority leader 2017.
- Additional appointments, 2017: Wisconsin Council on Forestry; Governor’s Task Force on Opioid Abuse.
Member of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse, Council on, Tourism, Council on and Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority