- Born Kenosha, Wisconsin, November 16, 1943; married; 2 children.
- Graduate Mary D. Bradford High School; B.A. University of Wisconsin–Parkside, 1970.
- Full-time legislator. Former factory worker and liaison to JTPA programs. Served in Army Reserve, 1965–71.
- Member: Danish Brotherhood; Kenosha Sport Fishing and Conservation Association; Democratic Party of Wisconsin.
- Former member: Kenosha Boys and Girls Club (board of directors).
- Kenosha County supervisor, 1986–94 (served on Health and Human Services Committee, Welfare Board, and Developmental Disabilities Board).
- Elected to Assembly 1992. Reelected 1994. Elected to Senate since 1996. Leadership positions: minority caucus chair 2003.