- Born Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 25, 1966; 1 child.
- Graduate Rufus King High School (Milwaukee), 1984; B.A. in English University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 1990; J.D. Southern Illinois University–Carbondale, 1993.
- Member: State Superintendent’s Equity in the Every Student Succeeds Act Stakeholder Council; Alpha Kappa Alpha (WI State Connection Coordinator); National Organization of Black Elected Legislative Women (ambassador); Boy Scouts Three Harbors Council (advisory board); NAACP; Milwaukee Community Justice Council (vice president); Teen Pregnancy Prevention Oversight Committee; Integrated Reentry Employment Strategies Executive Committee; NCSL Women’s Legislative Network Board; Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center Community Advisory Board; Democratic Party of Wisconsin (former first vice chair).
- Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District Commissioner, 2010–14.
- Elected to Assembly in April 2003 special election. Elected to Senate since 2004.